Personal Water Craft Forum banner

05 GPR 1300 Help??

4K views 36 replies 4 participants last post by  YamahaNewbie 
#1 ·
I recently inherited a 05 GPR 1300 with only 96 hours on it. When I first got it, i rode it for about 10 minutes on a lake with no known issues. I then took it to have it serviced with an inspection done. Compression was great and all cylinders, the ski was greased and lubed up for the season with the spark plugs being changed in addition. The d-plate was previously installed in addition to the CAT sensor and the CAT was removed. So all good things.

I took the ski out yesterday and drove it for about 30 minutes without issue when suddenly the warning light started flashing, I then drove it for about five more minutes to get it docked with the light flashing and cut the engine off. Waited about five minutes and then started her up and with no warning light flashing. I thenlet her run for about five minutes with no light activating.

I then took her out this morning and again she ran great for 30 minutes and then the warning light and beep came on this time. Then I noticed the engine light was flashing along with the exhaust overheat light as well. Rode her back to the dock which took about 10 minutes this time all the while listening to that annoying beeping. I then cut her off and let her rest for about five minutes. Started her up in the water and the codes, warning light and beeping were gone. I then got back on the ski and took her out for about five 10 minutes riding it hard with no issues.

What do I have here fellas?

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like Rods hit the nail on the head.
Did you notice during the overheat times was there water coming from both left and right side pissers?... If not.
I'd check all your water lines for restrictions. Including the inlet screen in the side of the pump. (4 bolts on left side of the pump)
If they were working strong then I'd check out the temp switch. And there is still the possibility the exhaust water passages are restricted/clogged causing poor water flow.
Has this has always been a freshwater ski? Does it get regular flushing on the hose?

#7 ·
I appreciate all of the helpful words Dave, the ski was purchased from an Individual that routinely stated the ski never touched salt water. I did not notice any water coming from the front side pissers when the warning light along with the other two lights were flashing. I do every time I take her out flush her for about five minutes with a hose and while I just had Her serviced she received a salt away treatment which I’m sure you’re familiar with the product. I was leaning more towards the exhaust temp switch but I’m glad you pointed out the other alternatives as well.

#9 ·
Just looked up exhaust temp sensor. $208. You'll want to check the system out first. There are ways to check the sensor but you'll need the manual for that. You should be able to find one on eBay in paper and downloadable.
Rods may know of another location to get. I'll leave him a message to get to you.

#10 ·
Sounds good I’m located in South Carolina on the Atlantic coast, I found A new exhaust temp Sensor on eBay for around $140 that is Yamaha OEM. Definitely want to test the existing one before I blow more money a new one. But all in all I’m hoping it’s just the sensor. I mean I’m looking right at it as soon as I take the seat off and I shouldn’t be to hard to do myself I assume. Would def like to locate a manual for her so if your contact could hook me up with that it would be very much appreciated.

#13 ·
The cat sensor is unplugged when the cat is removed and the d plate is installed. There is a chip that is installed in place of the cat sensor. I would pull the sensor and attempt to look for a cat in there. Also look to see if the sensor is plugged in or just laying around. If it isn't plugged in, look for the chip plugged into the harness where the sensor would go. If the sensor is plugged in, you need to ask for the old d plate and chip back. Sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing or took you for a serious ride.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B589A547018112D19D4CB589A5470181&&FORM=VRDGAR

#14 ·
Rods, I was thinking about that D plate chip the other day when I posted.
With the D Plate you DON'T use the cat sensor. D plates comes with a chip that plugs into the wire connection, that fakes the cat to the computer.
Find the harness wire that should go to the cat sensor. If this chip is missing and they connected the wire to the cat sensor and eliminated the chip, there's your problem. If this is the case contact the mechanic and request chip back. It is required for the D plate to fool the computer.
If they can't locate or don't have the chip there are ways around it to make one. The proper chip is preferred though.

In my opinion,
If they (shop mechanic) took your chip out and installed a cat sensor with D plate they owe you a chip and charged you for a sensor and parts you didn't need.
Even if it means they have to by a new D plate to get the chip at there expense. That's there problem. Just my $.02

The chip plugs into the wire and is taped up to secure chip and wire.

#15 ·
Thank you Dave & Rods for all the feedback. I feel like I may have gotten taken possibly. Here’s the full story

I took this ski to the mechanic to have it overlooked. Upon inspection there was a D plate already installed that had silicone around the outside. He claimed that the silicone around the outside D plate was suspicious and needed to be investigated. Ultimately he rendered that the D plate need to be taken off and looked at for inspection to make sure it was properly installed therefore a new one would have to be installed and put on with new gaskets. He also said that there was not a CAT chip installed as well so he needed to put one on in addition.

So not being knowledgeable in these things I agreed and he allegedly installed a new D plate along with a cat sensor and also told me that the cat converter was taken out previously by its last owner. I made him show me the work that he was done because he charged me over $200 for the D plate and chip installation. He showed me the d plate which for all I knew was the existing one and said that he could not show me the sensor because it was hidden behind the electrical manifold. Tell me what I have here gentlemen

#16 ·
*Update* Just lifted the seat off the ski and observed that cat sensor is plugged into the harness and there is no chip installed.

Question, This mechanic said that the Cat converter was removed the ski previously by the previous owner. Would I still need the chip to be installe given there is no cat converter in the ski anymore? And I really don’t trust this dude so how can I Check to see if the cat converter really removed.?

#18 ·
Only way I know for sure to check is to remove the upper portion of the exhaust and look through it.
When the chip is installed the sensor is completely out of the system. It's still there just not plugged in. You unplug the sensor and plug in the chip on the electric box portion of the wire harness. If you contact one of the D plate manufacturers you may be able get the chip if need be. And it is possible to build one yourself. It's just a resister, but I don't know what ohm it needs to be but I can find out if you need.

#21 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I’m going to try removing the CAT sensor and see if I can find a scope camera to see if a cat is in there. The video really helped out too. I’m going to stick to this guy once I’m able to prove he ripped me off. I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress.

#23 ·
*Update* I confronted to the mechanic who did the work previously. He said that he did not use the traditional plug in Cat Chip but wired the harness with a resister that sits in the manifold located over where fuses are. He said that apparently this is more dependable then the chip. Dave and Rods what do you think?

#24 ·
I'd like to know what he is calling a manifold ?? Electrical box maybe ?? I would be looking for it. Should be pretty apparent when you see it. I can't see where it would be any better than plugging it in the the harness with some dielectric grease in the plug for water proofing. Also, if it's in line, and the plug is still live and you plug a sensor into that, your really throwing the ecu for a loop.

#25 ·
Yeah I don’t know what he’s taking about the cat sensor is still plugged directly into the harness that goes into the electrical box. None of the bolts or screws to the black electrical box look like that have been turned. Meaning that still have crosion and surface rust on them and look like they haven’t been turned in years. PROBABLY SINCE IT WAS PUT TOGETHER. Propbably going to take it back to him next week and show me what he did, or what he didn’t do! ?

#26 ·
that all sounds mighty fishy to me. there is no way what he said would work with the sensor plugged in and in the loop. As Rods stated. yes, you could technically install the resister inside the electrical box to keep it water tight. But why?? plugging in the chip with dielectric grease and a little tape and your done and its water tight.
non of this makes any sense???..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.