Ski-Terrific - PWC Forum: The best hang-out for Personal WaterCraft enthusiasts
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
vegasphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 33
Ski-Terrific

Well, I got out on Lake Mead for my inaugural ski. Even tho the previous seller had started it up in his garage, he had indicated the battery might be weak. I googled a bunch of youtube vids on launching your pwc by yourself..looks simples enough but then you get sucked into watching those boat launch fails and you think the worst.



A little surprise at the NPS gate...even tho I have my parks pass, I guess you also have to pay $50 just to put a boat into Lake Mead. Rookie surprise. I suspect I will have to pay for separate stickers to access Lake Powell and Lake Tahoe. I am already aware of Tahoe.

We had some wind and overcast yesterday but the forecast was perfect today. I had a long sleeve shirt on just in case the wind picked up.


I have kayaked out of Boulder Beach a bunch of times but never paddled over to Hoover Dam. So, that was first on my list today. Nice quick trip that I can take friends visiting in town.



For me, this was not really about having a speed machine but giving me access to areas. So, I only did about 35 miles on the ski today but here were a couple of interesting areas. BUT, I know in just Lake Mead, there are a gillion of these.



The water is clear enough and certainly in the shallow areas where you know where to kill the engine or not. Many of these little beaches have quick drop offs so no problem.



So stoked that this used machine is exactly what the seller said. 20 hours on it, runs great and in great shape. Nice and stable ski. Most of the time I was just cruising at 35-45mph as the water is still a hair chilly but I did get it up to 58mph in a glassy area and there was still a chunk of throttle in it. I can hardly wait to tow some friends on a raft. LOL
vegasphotog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave in DE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: slower lower Delaware,second home on lake Conesus in NY. keep a 93&94 vxr pro there.
Posts: 694
Congrats, sounds like you had a good day. Glad all went well on maiden voyage. I would love to have access to a place like that. The lake my cottage is on is about 12miles long and a mile wide. Nothing like Mead though with all it's coves and beaches. Only place I can stop is my dock or the park at the far end of lake where everyone ancors out for a beer and B/S while throwing a football or frisbee. Ten acres of waist deep water and sand bottom.
I cant wait till I get on the water. Usually frist trip out is end of June at the lake. So have a ways to go yet. Ocean temp to cold to go out earlier than that here. Now it's in very low 40's.
Dave in DE is online now  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
vegasphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in DE View Post
Congrats, sounds like you had a good day. Glad all went well on maiden voyage. I would love to have access to a place like that. The lake my cottage is on is about 12miles long and a mile wide. Nothing like Mead though with all it's coves and beaches. Only place I can stop is my dock or the park at the far end of lake where everyone ancors out for a beer and B/S while throwing a football or frisbee. Ten acres of waist deep water and sand bottom.
I cant wait till I get on the water. Usually frist trip out is end of June at the lake. So have a ways to go yet. Ocean temp to cold to go out earlier than that here. Now it's in very low 40's.
I bet after Memorial Day everyone is chomping at the bit where you live. I would guess there are hard-cores (not me for sure) that ride with wetsuits...Even though a ski boat is more than I could afford or want to manage, I like the idea of getting wet. If I would have fallen in today, the water was 56 degrees....I have been in colder but once it gets over 70 degrees it will be great. By June here usually the water is a little too warm for me in the mid-80's...but, now with a jet ski I am sure I can find areas where the water is cooler.
vegasphotog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave in DE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: slower lower Delaware,second home on lake Conesus in NY. keep a 93&94 vxr pro there.
Posts: 694
Ya, there are a few hard core here but not many. Most don't start till memorial day.
By the time I get to my cottage in June the water temp is 70 to 80. but if the wind blows it can flip and get cold fast. But by the time I come back in late July ocean temps are 60's to 70's and I start riding there. Lots of back bays, inland tidal rivers and open ocean to ride. But no where near the scenary you have.
Heres pics: 1st is my riding buddy and I in a back bay tidal river. 2nd is daughter and I at the park on a slow day at the lake. Busy day it's hard to get in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170813_130623945_1553479945288.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	17341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160705_170507057_1553480573528.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	17345  
Dave in DE is online now  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,655
Dock
Awesome !!!! Glad you like the ski. Kawi really does make a good machine. Nice pictures of the lake. I'm planning a trip to SoCal this summer to visit family there and we will likely end up at Lake Pyramid for a day.
rodsatheart is online now  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
vegasphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in DE View Post
Ya, there are a few hard core here but not many. Most don't start till memorial day.
By the time I get to my cottage in June the water temp is 70 to 80. but if the wind blows it can flip and get cold fast. But by the time I come back in late July ocean temps are 60's to 70's and I start riding there. Lots of back bays, inland tidal rivers and open ocean to ride. But no where near the scenary you have.
Heres pics: 1st is my riding buddy and I in a back bay tidal river. 2nd is daughter and I at the park on a slow day at the lake. Busy day it's hard to get in.
cool pics....that looks like a ton o' fun!
vegasphotog is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
vegasphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
Awesome !!!! Glad you like the ski. Kawi really does make a good machine. Nice pictures of the lake. I'm planning a trip to SoCal this summer to visit family there and we will likely end up at Lake Pyramid for a day.
I had never heard of Lake Pyramid. I looked i up....looks way cool!

vegasphotog is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,655
Dock
That Pyramid lake is in Nevada. Mine is in SoCal by Gorman.
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.KJMtP8oAsGY

Last edited by rodsatheart; 03-26-2019 at 05:21 AM.
rodsatheart is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
vegasphotog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
That Pyramid lake is in Nevada. Mine is in SoCal by Gorman.
https://www.google.com/search?source....0.KJMtP8oAsGY
Ooops....still looks cool and big enough for sure.

vegasphotog is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,655
Dock
Yep, big enough to have some fun on. Get pretty choppy as the day wears on, and can be pretty brutal on his ZXI750. Nice thing is it's only about an hour away.
rodsatheart is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PWC Forum: The best hang-out for Personal WaterCraft enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ski to ski jump start pageport General PWC & Jetski Discussion 0 04-17-2014 04:05 PM
Jet Ski Brian fishing from his ski on TV Tonight Ernest T General PWC & Jetski Discussion 4 08-27-2012 11:34 PM
First Ski - Ideas for Stand-Up Ski Manofthesea Yamaha Jetski 1 09-01-2009 03:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome