How to Check and Adjust Timing on a 550sx
1. Remove the fuel tank and set it next to the ski. Connect the fuel hoses to the carburetor.
2. Remove the flywheel cover.
3. Reinstall the front 2 starter mounting bolts to hold the starter motor in position.
4. FIND TDC FOR THE FRONT CYLINDER
5. Attach a rigid pointer to one of the flywheel cover bolts. Align the pointer with "T" mark on the flywheel. See attached picture.
6. Connect a timing light according to manufacturer's directions.
7. Connect a tachometer according to the manufacturer's directions.
8. Connect the engine to the garden hose as it will be run onshore.
9. Start the engine and warm it to normal operating temperature. Point the timing light at the pointer and timing marks. Then, increase engine speed to 6000 rpm and note the timing marks and pointer. If the timing is correctly adjusted, the "F" mark on the flywheel aligns with the pointer.
10. If the timing is not correct, loosen the stator plate set screw through the holes in the flywheel. Then, turn the stator plate as required to obtain the correct timing. Securely retighten the stator screws and recheck the timing as described in Step 9.