Options to get spark - PWC Forum: The best hang-out for Personal WaterCraft enthusiasts
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Options to get spark

1999 Kawi ZXI 1100, the electronic box (computer?) is waterlogged and I cannot find a replacement. Are there any options I have so I can get spark?
swimmer_spe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,649
Dock
The cdi box is sealed. All of the components are available except the cdi box. You just need to open it up, dry everything off, and check all the connections. Is this a new to you ski, or did it have spark before ? Have you tried new plugs and trimming the plug wires about 1/2" ?
rodsatheart is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
The cdi box is sealed. All of the components are available except the cdi box. You just need to open it up, dry everything off, and check all the connections. Is this a new to you ski, or did it have spark before ? Have you tried new plugs and trimming the plug wires about 1/2" ?
It is new to me. A friend had a problem with no spark. I determined that the CDI box got water in it. The cables going into the box no longer are sealed at the openings of the box. Everything in the box are corroded.
swimmer_spe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,649
Dock
Chances are the actual cdi is good. Look into getting a new rectifier, pull all the connections apart, clean them, and apply some dielectric grease when reconnecting them. Make sure you get the ground location on the box clean, and you might look into making a second ground wire out of 6ga wire to go from the engine to the electrical box. I attach it to the drive coupling cover and just come straight across to the box and attach it to one of the cover bolts. I would also do some ohm testign on the coils to make sure they are good.
It's very common for those plastic pieces to break. You can buy new ones. They are kind of a pain to replace. You can also just use some 100% silicone to seal them. it will look like crap, but will water proof it.
If you don't have it yet, do some hunting, and download a manual for it. It will have all the specs for testing the coils, stator, and cdi along with a wiring diagram.
rodsatheart is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
Chances are the actual cdi is good. Look into getting a new rectifier, pull all the connections apart, clean them, and apply some dielectric grease when reconnecting them. Make sure you get the ground location on the box clean, and you might look into making a second ground wire out of 6ga wire to go from the engine to the electrical box. I attach it to the drive coupling cover and just come straight across to the box and attach it to one of the cover bolts. I would also do some ohm testign on the coils to make sure they are good.
It's very common for those plastic pieces to break. You can buy new ones. They are kind of a pain to replace. You can also just use some 100% silicone to seal them. it will look like crap, but will water proof it.
If you don't have it yet, do some hunting, and download a manual for it. It will have all the specs for testing the coils, stator, and cdi along with a wiring diagram.
What do do with the box that is also corroded? Seriously, if someone has a whole thing, I would replace it.
swimmer_spe is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,649
Dock
What box are you talking about ? The whole electrical box ? That is just a case for all the components inside (coils, rectifier, cdi box, starter relay). All those components are replaceable. Not not sure if the cdi box is in production anymore though. The upper and lower halves of the electrical box can be cleaned inside and out.
rodsatheart is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
What box are you talking about ? The whole electrical box ? That is just a case for all the components inside (coils, rectifier, cdi box, starter relay). All those components are replaceable. Not not sure if the cdi box is in production anymore though. The upper and lower halves of the electrical box can be cleaned inside and out.
Yes the whole electrical box. I have scrubbed it and used various cleaners but it is still corroded and am getting dust from it. All of the connectors are corroded. Any bare wire is corroded.
swimmer_spe is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,649
Dock
The only way to get 100% of it out is to have it media blasted. Water makes it corrode, so each time you get it wet, it will corrode a little more as it drys. Just use a small wire brush to loosen up what you can and blow it out with compressed air (away from you).
You can clean the connections with 320 grit or finner emory cloth or 600 grit sand paper. Try some white vinegar and baking soda, rinse, dry, and finish with a small brass wire brush to clean the wires.
If your just tired of messing with it, and want a nice clean water tight box, I found this one on ebay. Looks to be super clean, and the sealing nuts appear to be fairly new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZX...frcectupt=true
rodsatheart is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
The only way to get 100% of it out is to have it media blasted. Water makes it corrode, so each time you get it wet, it will corrode a little more as it drys. Just use a small wire brush to loosen up what you can and blow it out with compressed air (away from you).
You can clean the connections with 320 grit or finner emory cloth or 600 grit sand paper. Try some white vinegar and baking soda, rinse, dry, and finish with a small brass wire brush to clean the wires.
If your just tired of messing with it, and want a nice clean water tight box, I found this one on ebay. Looks to be super clean, and the sealing nuts appear to be fairly new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZX...frcectupt=true
Thank you for the link. What years did the CDI box run for that will work on mine?
swimmer_spe is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,649
Dock
Shows 1997-2003.
rodsatheart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PWC Forum: The best hang-out for Personal WaterCraft enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our First PWC - Input on Re-fueling Options Please DevotedDad General PWC & Jetski Discussion 7 05-01-2012 10:32 PM
Buying a PWC for the first time two options Mdezinno Sea-Doo Jetski 1 04-22-2012 11:19 AM
XLT800 needs a new engine....what are my options? wattsbarxlt800 Yamaha Jetski 10 07-17-2011 05:21 AM
traction mats: wat are my aftermarket options? poser General PWC & Jetski Discussion 1 03-18-2011 11:52 PM
FX High output insurance - options? icancupee Yamaha Jetski 10 06-03-2008 12:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome