Cheking for spark - PWC Forum: The best hang-out for Personal WaterCraft enthusiasts
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 11
Cheking for spark

1999 Kawasaki ZXi 1100

I plan to get it back in the water. I was given it from a friend, knowing full well it was not running. He was getting no spark. I was given it in boxes.

So, now I want to get it running. How can I test things like the stator and the other electrical components to figure out exactly what is causing the no spark before throwing parts at it.

So, how do I figure this all out? I am knowledgeable on cars, but not jetskis.
swimmer_spe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,993
Dock
Could be the cdi box, rectifier, stator, coils, or just needs the coil wires replaced or trimmed a bit (yes it's possible, and needs solid core wire). It could also be a corroded connection in the electrical box. Has it ever been submerged ?
First thing is get a good agm battery for it, rebuild the carbs (might even look at getting a set of cdkII carbs instead of using the crap CV carbs), replace the oil injection lines and fuel lines.
Find a pdf of the service manual. It will have all the specs to check all the electrical components.
I would also get a GOOD compression gauge and do a compression check, but first put a tablespoon of 2 stroke oil down each plug hole and turn the engine by hand to coat the walls, rings, and pistons.
I have a ZXI manual and will try and post up some pages.
rodsatheart is online now  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
Could be the cdi box, rectifier, stator, coils, or just needs the coil wires replaced or trimmed a bit (yes it's possible, and needs solid core wire). It could also be a corroded connection in the electrical box. Has it ever been submerged ?
First thing is get a good agm battery for it, rebuild the carbs (might even look at getting a set of cdkII carbs instead of using the crap CV carbs), replace the oil injection lines and fuel lines.
Find a pdf of the service manual. It will have all the specs to check all the electrical components.
I would also get a GOOD compression gauge and do a compression check, but first put a tablespoon of 2 stroke oil down each plug hole and turn the engine by hand to coat the walls, rings, and pistons.
I have a ZXI manual and will try and post up some pages.
I have a manual for it.

I have a good battery for it. The carbs are good. The compression is good too.

The problem is lack of spark.
swimmer_spe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,993
Dock
So I'm assuming you have gotten new plugs ? Open the electrical box inspect everything for corrosion and broken terminals ?
Make sure the grounds are good, clean and tight. I've been known to add a 6ga ground from the engine to the electrical box for extra measure.
Start with checking the easiest and most obvious things. Could be the coils, but they rarely go bad. It's usually the plug leads that deteriorate, and they can be replaced with some solid core wire, but it's kind of a pain. Try removing the plug caps and trimming the lead 1/2" or so. If you don't have a digital meter, get one. They're like 30.00 at Autozone. Your going to need it. Check the coils primary and secondary winding's, and check the rectifier. The spec's are in the electrical section of the manual. I have gotten ski's that had so much water get in them over the years from the broken plastic nuts that the wires enter the box through, that the terminal blades on the rectifier corroded and broke off.
rodsatheart is online now  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
So I'm assuming you have gotten new plugs ? Open the electrical box inspect everything for corrosion and broken terminals ?
Make sure the grounds are good, clean and tight. I've been known to add a 6ga ground from the engine to the electrical box for extra measure.
Start with checking the easiest and most obvious things. Could be the coils, but they rarely go bad. It's usually the plug leads that deteriorate, and they can be replaced with some solid core wire, but it's kind of a pain. Try removing the plug caps and trimming the lead 1/2" or so. If you don't have a digital meter, get one. They're like 30.00 at Autozone. Your going to need it. Check the coils primary and secondary winding's, and check the rectifier. The spec's are in the electrical section of the manual. I have gotten ski's that had so much water get in them over the years from the broken plastic nuts that the wires enter the box through, that the terminal blades on the rectifier corroded and broke off.
I have opened the box of mystery. It looked very white inside. I there aa way to bench test the box?
swimmer_spe is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,993
Dock
Each components needs to be checked individually at this point.
rodsatheart is online now  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsatheart View Post
Each components needs to be checked individually at this point.
How do I do that?
swimmer_spe is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
rodsatheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mena, Ar.
Posts: 4,993
Dock
You need to get a decent Digital volt/ohm meter and use the manuals instructions. Everything has specific measurements.
rodsatheart is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PWC Forum: The best hang-out for Personal WaterCraft enthusiasts forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Kawasaki 750SS. Spark for two seconds and then no spark krupster Kawasaki Jetski 0 09-15-2009 12:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome