Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Two Gp1200R's Waverunners. Sat all last year due to funds! and fuel costs! One totally died on me and had to be towed in, Now when i try to Start it, Something in the electrical box starts buzzing. I am think that the pistons are seized and not allowing the starter to crank motor. Should i spray some oil down the cylinder and let it set and try to crank, or just pull top end off?

The other one i did a compression check on and getting 115 on rear, 0 on Mid, and 130 on front. I am thinking that this one will need the top end cleaned up and new pistons and rings.

I am new to the Yahama waverunner, I rebuilt two Kawasiki 550&650 stand up ski, and a Tigershark last year. Is there anything i have to be careful with when i pull motor apart? I am hearing about Power valves. What are they? :dunno:

Appericiate any information or help with this topic!
Chobes!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The one that was towed in probably filled with water, with the exhaust not pushing the water out, it ran backwards over the hump and into the cylinder/crank. Take the plugs out and try to start it.If water shoots up, its got water in the case! Also, open your cdi box and make sure it has no water in it. The Yamaha is easy to do, just break top end down. You wont need to worry about power valves if you are just doing a top end repair. Post back and let me know what you find on the one that was towed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GKEcorp! Well pulled top end off tonight. The rear cylinder ate the powervalve!! wow, amazingly enough the cylinder looks fine just the piston the chewed up a little bit. Still taking in the and having cylinders checked and Honed at least. Need to replace rear pwr valve, and i guess get a set of the waveeater clips! the crank looks fine no scuffs or anything. I am assuming the reason it died was that the piston slammed into PV and killed motor. I got it started the other day before i pulled top end off and it ran fine. also, there seems to be a lot of oil in the crank sump, is that normal? wondering if it is from when it was winterized and the oil sprayed in the cylinder leaked down. Let me know what you think, and thanks again.
Chobes:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
The oil is from the third cylinder not running, just clean it out when you do the re-build. Mine did the same thing and I had a puddle of oil/fuel in the bottom. Just clean it out. As long as your cylinder isn't scratched at all, honing will be just fine. Dont forget hew rings/clips etc with the new piston!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks. i'll make sure that I clean the sump out. definitely going to get new piston rod bearings and rings. going to break down the other one today. will post my findings for that one as well!. thanks again ttyl!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well. got number 2 taken apart. hole in the middle piston. toook to shop and they want just about 1000 bucks each to re-nickle the cylinders, new pistons, and rings, gaskets, and piston rod bearings. I think I am going to tear into bottom end and make sure it is ok. if we are spending that kind of money!. what's your thoughts on the price. I didn't realize they had nickle plated cylinders! look forward to hearing any comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts