Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New ski owner here. Please help! The past few times I've taken my jet ski out, I have trouble getting it to start the first time. Once I replace the spark plugs, it runs perfectly at both idle & full speeds. And I stop on the water and restart throughout the day and never have a problem....it's only the initial start that is the problem. The last time I changed plugs, the old plugs were only used for the one day prior. I only use 100% gas and synthetic oil. I have added Iso-Heet and Sta-Bil 360 thinking that there could be water or crud in the gas. Those didn't seem to help much. I'm at a loss since the ski runs perfectly with new plugs. I found something that said I could have excessive oil pump output, but wouldn't that cause a problem every time I try to start?

Anyone had a similar issue??? Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
How long is the ski sitting between rides ? Anymore than a couple of days, and the carbs start to loose prime. If it is happening every time it sits over night, the pilot screws on the carbs might be a tad lean. If this is the case, try turning them out 1/8 of a turn on each carb. Exactly 1/8. A little on these screws can do alot.

Kawasaki Jet Ski Parts 2001 JT900-C1 900 STX CARBURETOR PARTS Diagram

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about adjusting the carbs. But it runs PERFECTLY other than the initial start. I am cautious about trading one problem for another. Adjusting the pilot screws will affect how it runs at idle and full speeds, right?

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Pilot screw is a low speed adjustment. The jets and slide are everything else. Here's a good pilot test. Ride it for about ten minutes, then stop and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Start it back up. It should fire in less than a sec., pretty much instantly. If it does, the carbs are tuned pretty good. Even plugs that are a year old can make a difference in a two stroke. How do the plugs look ?

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Also might be that the needles and seats are bad which will allow the carbs and part of the fuel system to drain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts