Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda is at a Honda dealer who is having no luck with a solution to my problem. It runs rough, it's flooding the one and four plug, and it won't go above 4000 rpm. So far we have put in new fuel, put in a new fuel regulator valve, done an oilchange, new plugs, and tried a new ECM - the dealer said everything looks great but still can't find the problem. He is wondering if the old and new ECMs BOTH are bad. What are the odds of having 2 bad ECMs? He's totally checked out everything and can't find the cause of the problem. Does anyone live in the Santa Cruz - Monterey Bay area that I could plug in my ECM to see if it works in another ski? Any ideas or anyone with an 02 ski that can help?!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Has he done a compression check? Could always try swapping around the injectors too and see if for some reason you have bad injectors, and check fuel rail pressure, really odd that 1 & 4 are the problems, wish I had a Service manual to look at for Wiring diagrams and spec's and I could maybe help you their, if anyone has one in PDF format please pass it along would love one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not familiar with the jetski engine as yet but I know that my bike has 2 coils, 1 to cylinders 1 and 4 , the other to cylinders 2 and 3. Something to check and discount.....

edit......Four waterproof, transistorized direct-ignition coils integrate the spark plug cap and the high-tension lead to produce a high-voltage, long-duration spark, providing maximum performance at high engine-output levels

Not sure what that means but sounds like it negates my first thought. Oh well.....Sorry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Has he done a compression check? Could always try swapping around the injectors too and see if for some reason you have bad injectors, and check fuel rail pressure, really odd that 1 & 4 are the problems, wish I had a Service manual to look at for Wiring diagrams and spec's and I could maybe help you their, if anyone has one in PDF format please pass it along would love one.
Yeah! compression check ok! injectors are ok! it was at the honda dealer and they had no fix. trying new wire harness now! seems like an electrical prob.
Thanks for the help! if you have any thoughts about that let me know!
scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not familiar with the jetski engine as yet but I know that my bike has 2 coils, 1 to cylinders 1 and 4 , the other to cylinders 2 and 3. Something to check and discount.....

edit......Four waterproof, transistorized direct-ignition coils integrate the spark plug cap and the high-tension lead to produce a high-voltage, long-duration spark, providing maximum performance at high engine-output levels

Not sure what that means but sounds like it negates my first thought. Oh well.....Sorry
I think the dealer checked the coils but ill double check! I'm changing out the wire harness right now. i hope that's it... seems like an electrical problem.
thanks for your input.
scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
coils

each cyl has its own coil pack. you might be right! im replacing all 4 and will get back. thanks for the support!

ok! just spent $200 on new coils! still wont go past 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
new coils same problem

I think the dealer checked the coils but ill double check! I'm changing out the wire harness right now. i hope that's it... seems like an electrical problem.
thanks for your input.
scott
I just tried all new coils and still have the same poblem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Has the timing on the engine been checked? you can use a timing light on it to check it. Or your cam timing is off. You have replaced the ecm so that much of the problem is ruled out. So have to look for mechanical problems now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
electrical

Has the timing on the engine been checked? you can use a timing light on it to check it. Or your cam timing is off. You have replaced the ecm so that much of the problem is ruled out. So have to look for mechanical problems now.
yeah the timing is good... it seems like its a sensor of some sorts.. any idea witch one could cause this problem?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just got the Honda manual and will look threw it this week and see if their is anything in their to help you with your problem.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Alright Fix my honda, This is What the Factory Manual says ok. Poor Performance at High Speed. 1) Ignition Timing So that has to be checked! Even if your honda shop did it take it someplace else and have a Tech check it for you. From the sounds of it I'm just not inclined to be trusting this place you have taken it too. 2) Fuel Injection. The fuel rail pressure should be at 43psi at Idle. 3) Valve timing, now this gets a little more difficult but even a auto shop can look at this for you. 4) valve spring. even more difficult because engine would have to be torn down. This I know is gonna be hard to do over the internet but I'll try giving you as much info as I can and the things I would like see checked first.
A) check the fuel injectors- Ohms test them 11.1 to 12.3 ohms at 68 degrees our so outside.
B) Fuel rail pressure 43 psi @ idle.
C) Timing, with the engine warmed up and the cover removed from over the coupler at the back of the engine connect timing light to #1 cycl. Timing light will lite and will be even with the F-mark on the crank and the mark that is on the back of the case (index mark)
D) Plugs - IMR9D-9H (NGK) gap .031-.035 in. Make no mistake these plugs cannot be cleaned! only replaced! their iridium plugs so don't touch them with your fingers.
keep me posted and good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
One other thing that i would like to see tried also would be to add a can of sea foam to the tank of gas, and then take the ski out and run it some if you can. The sea Foam will help to remove any carbon build up in the engine.
How many hours do you have on this ski? also?

·
Registered
285 Posts
324 hours thats a fair amount of time on the ski. I'm gonna guess then that the anode's have not been changed? All of them? An anode is an electrode through which electric current flows into a polarized electrical device. You will have them in the turbo, exhaust manifold and cylinder head. I know they just help with corrosion but electricity does funny things with corrosion. Another thought to check while your at it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks!

this sounds like a good possibility. it really seems like its electrical. checked the timing checked the fuel sys...... my ski is a non turbo can you tell me where all these anodes are?
thanks for the good info!
scott

·
Registered
285 Posts
They should be in the exhaust manifold and cylinder head. Also check to see if the knock sensor is good, as it does help to control some of your timing in the engine and could also be causing your problem of poor performance. By retarding or advancing timing to far or at the wrong times, or not at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
your thoughts on this?

what do you think about the jet pump causing it to only rev to 4000 rpm under load? could a bad bearing cause something like that?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wouldn't think so. You said their was no problem with the motor rev'ing when it was out of water, only under load do you have this problem right?? I know the bearing for the pump isn't the best and many have had this problem but it would have to be in real bad shape for it to hinder the motor and I would think you could tell if it was that bad, just by listening to it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts