Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Honda is at a Honda dealer who is having no luck with a solution to my problem. It runs rough, it's flooding the one and four plug, and it won't go above 4000 rpm. So far we have put in new fuel, put in a new fuel regulator valve, done an oilchange, new plugs, and tried a new ECM - the dealer said everything looks great but still can't find the problem. He is wondering if the old and new ECMs BOTH are bad. What are the odds of having 2 bad ECMs? He's totally checked out everything and can't find the cause of the problem. Does anyone live in the Santa Cruz - Monterey Bay area that I could plug in my ECM to see if it works in another ski? Any ideas or anyone with an 02 ski that can help?!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has he done a compression check? Could always try swapping around the injectors too and see if for some reason you have bad injectors, and check fuel rail pressure, really odd that 1 & 4 are the problems, wish I had a Service manual to look at for Wiring diagrams and spec's and I could maybe help you their, if anyone has one in PDF format please pass it along would love one.
Yeah! compression check ok! injectors are ok! it was at the honda dealer and they had no fix. trying new wire harness now! seems like an electrical prob.
Thanks for the help! if you have any thoughts about that let me know!
scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not familiar with the jetski engine as yet but I know that my bike has 2 coils, 1 to cylinders 1 and 4 , the other to cylinders 2 and 3. Something to check and discount.....

edit......Four waterproof, transistorized direct-ignition coils integrate the spark plug cap and the high-tension lead to produce a high-voltage, long-duration spark, providing maximum performance at high engine-output levels

Not sure what that means but sounds like it negates my first thought. Oh well.....Sorry
I think the dealer checked the coils but ill double check! I'm changing out the wire harness right now. i hope that's it... seems like an electrical problem.
thanks for your input.
scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
coils

each cyl has its own coil pack. you might be right! im replacing all 4 and will get back. thanks for the support!

ok! just spent $200 on new coils! still wont go past 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
new coils same problem

I think the dealer checked the coils but ill double check! I'm changing out the wire harness right now. i hope that's it... seems like an electrical problem.
thanks for your input.
scott
I just tried all new coils and still have the same poblem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
electrical

Has the timing on the engine been checked? you can use a timing light on it to check it. Or your cam timing is off. You have replaced the ecm so that much of the problem is ruled out. So have to look for mechanical problems now.
yeah the timing is good... it seems like its a sensor of some sorts.. any idea witch one could cause this problem?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks!

this sounds like a good possibility. it really seems like its electrical. checked the timing checked the fuel sys...... my ski is a non turbo can you tell me where all these anodes are?
thanks for the good info!
scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your thoughts on this?

what do you think about the jet pump causing it to only rev to 4000 rpm under load? could a bad bearing cause something like that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
back at the honda store

still nothing! have done everything under the sun with the same results...
ill kep you posted if they fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
nothin yet!

its been at the honda dealer for a month now.... honda has shitty service. no one cares... its been broken for a year now and im pissed!
thanks for your concern!
scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts