Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started taking on water where the drive shaft goes through the hull.
Dealer repaired ($800) by pulling engine (I think) and slathering on a lot of black sealant.
Leaked a few weeks later, dealer repaired again (free) with a different white epoxy.
Leaked again a few weeks later, dealer repaired again (free, plus loaner jetski) with same white epoxy but kept out of water 7+ days to fully cure.
It's been a few weeks, no leak yet but I'm concerned about next season.

Dealer tells me that the epoxy (rather than a mechanical seal) is a Kawasaki thing. Can anyone shed a little light on that(like is it true)? Anyone have any experience with this sort of leak? Can anyone steer me to a shop manual that would detail making a repair like that? pulling engine? Is there any "aftermarket kit" that would make a mechanical seal like the stuffing box on my inboard? Could something be loose / misaligned that's causing the epoxy to fail?

I'm mechanically inclined, have worked on my cars / boats but know little about jetskis (I've never owned one, this is actually my brother's). He's leaning toward trading it in but they're only offering $2000 for it. I'm considering buying it from him. If the epoxy holds, great. If not, I may pursue the dealer for a refund of the $800 and try to fix it myself.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts