Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04' FX140 Cruiser that only sparks when it wants to.
Battery is good, checked the coils. Changed plugs, started first time after that, then not again until I took it to the dealer and ofcourse it started there. I went to pick it up and it did not start so decied to take it home to do more research. Anyone have any ideas, or another component to check?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Did you or the dealer check the kill switch? You may have a short in the switch. Look for loose wires/corroded connections in the Ebox. Take off the battery connections, clean apply dielectric grease and re-tighten.

With intermittent starting, I'd be most suspecious of a loose connection some place. You are jiggling it around hauling it to the dealer, messing with the spark plugs, etc., so it makes occasional contact.

How about the starter relay? Did they check that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It turns over everytime, just no spark. Is the starter relay also related to wheather it sparks or not? Related to the kill switch, is there a cable that you unplug behind the front bay panel that will bypass it, or do I have to take the grip apart. Is the Ebox in the large black box right behind the engine?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If it is turning over the starter relay should be OK. I'd still check for loose wires.

Are you sure you are not getting spark? Pull a plug and be certain. Otherwise it could be a fuel problem.

I'm not sure about the FX, but I'd try pushing and holding the mode button or select button, or if your ski has 2 buttons on the left side of the panel, push and hold both for 8 seconds to see if an error code shows up. This would tell you if there is a problem with the ignition pickup coil.

Yes the Ebox is that black box. Pull off the cover, check the fuses, check for loose wires or corroded components.

You can bypass the kill switch, but I don't have a service manual for your ski, so I don't know which wires to jump/disconnect. On mine you can do it inside the ski.

If you do all the above with no success, I'd check the ignition coils. They are easy to check with a multimeter, but you would need a service manual to know where to test them and what are normal readings.

I still think the most likely possibility is a loose/corroded connection somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved

:thumbsup:Turns out it was the throttle position sensor, had to take it to the dealer for the checkout, problem solved.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I was just wondering whether a code was displayed when you hit the start button, since the display stays lit up for 25-30 seconds. The system is supposed to display a code if one of the sensors fails, but I don't think it works all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts