Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a '04 STX 900 and I have taken it out twice, each time for about 2-3 hours. When I got back home each time I noticed about 2-3 inches of water in the bottom of the hull under the engine. Is this normal??? This is the first PWC I have ever owned so I am not really sure. The only way I can get the water out is pull the plugs and tilt the jet ski back and it will drain. Where is this water getting in? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? Like I said, I am new to this so I do not know if it is normal or what. Please help me out if you can. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Check the seals from your seat and storage areas. If it is only 2 or 3 inches, it could also be from you doing sharp turns and and the nose of the jet ski going through waves or going under water. I know with my Ultra 150, if I have been doing a lot of tight turns where my nose goes into the water, it is not uncommon for it to have maybe 1 or 2 inches of water in the engine compartment at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't really riding it hard or anything but I do notice that the nose will go under when I slow down to go through a no wake zone or something. I try to keep it out but it just does it. Maybe this is where it is coming in? The guy I bought it from said it has done this since day one but who knows if he is telling the truth. I am just worried about being out for an extended period of time and getting more water than just 2-3 inches. Should I install some type of pump to get the water out?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Both of my jet ski's have also done that from day one. To get rid of it, you can install a 1 way drain plug. I believe they look kind of like a duck bill and what it does is it just stays in place and allows the water to flow out of your hull but not in it. I replaces your current drain plugs and from what I hear, does pretty good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Water getting in

There are supposed to be pickups in the bottom of the hull that pump the water out when the engine is running. They can get plugged up with oil and dirt and crap. Pour degreaser in the bottom of the boat and flush out with water and see if it doesn't drain as you are going again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts