Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '04 XLT 800. I have had bad luck with oil injection system failures on outboard motors and typically disable the injection system and mix the oil directly with the gas. I am considering doing one of the following and interested in forum members comments:

1. Purchase the block off kit and remove the system. My concern with this approach is I would like to be able to re-enable the oil injection system if I decide to sell at a later date. Will this approach damage the pump?

2. Add oil to the gas and continue to use the injection system. The ski does not use a lot of oil so the expense wont be an issue. My only concern is the added oil may cause some carbon build up. This could be addressed by de-carboning.

3. Put gas in the oil injection tank and mix the oil in the gas. This would keep the oil injection in service for later use and avoid to much oil going to the engine. My concern with this is if the gas would damage the oil injection system.

Any comments on the above would be appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would add oil to the fuel tank at about 100 to 1. I think the fuel in the oil pump might damage seals but could be wrong. These pumps are pretty good shouldn't have an issue. I know many outboards (merc, evinrude) had bad designs for oil/fuel pumps for a while. Glad everything is now going 4-stroke.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts