Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the prices on new fuel pumps, I figured I would ask around and see if anyone else had experienced the same issue. I was riding for an hour last weekend and it was running great. I dropped down to an idle, it sputtered and then cut off. After about 5 minutes it started again and ran great back to the dock until i let off the throttle. Once it started to idle again, it sputtered and cut off again. I have spark, my plugs aren't fouled, the gas isn't bad, but I am not getting fuel. I took the fuel line off of the fuel rail and put the lanyard on... no gas. I checked voltage at the pump from the harness per the instructions in the manual and within a couple of seconds of inserting the lanyard, I have battery voltage. I was going to take the pump out and bench test it with 12V, to see if the pump works. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't even hear the pump make any noise when I put the lanyard on. The other issue is that the manual says that when I check voltage at the connector to the pump that I should see battery voltage for a few seconds, then it will cut out. When I checked it, I put the lanyard on and I didn't get battery voltage until a couple of seconds later. At that point, I did have a steady 12V. I thought I would take the pump out and hook 12V to test it. Thoughts?

·
Registered
236 Posts
This could be a problem with the main relay that is mounted outside and behind the main rear electrical box. They have a 100% failure rate. I would pull the pump out and bench test it with 12VDC. If it runs on the bench, replace the main relay and spray it with corrosion block before reinstalling it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bench tested the pump last night and it seems to work fine. So, I pulled the relay. I will put that in tomorrow when I get it and hopefully it will fix the problem. Thanks for the advice. I will let you know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Glad it worked for you, all Honda owners have to eventually replace them due to water absorbsion through the wiring insulation going into the relay. Be sure to read our help threads on protecting your turbo/exhaust system from salt corrosion on PWCTODAY.com and Greenhulk.com too. I'll try to post some of them here if there are more Honda owners looking here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts