Personal Water Craft Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I’m going to try removing the CAT sensor and see if I can find a scope camera to see if a cat is in there. The video really helped out too. I’m going to stick to this guy once I’m able to prove he ripped me off. I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
*Update* I confronted to the mechanic who did the work previously. He said that he did not use the traditional plug in Cat Chip but wired the harness with a resister that sits in the manifold located over where fuses are. He said that apparently this is more dependable then the chip. Dave and Rods what do you think?

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
I'd like to know what he is calling a manifold ?? Electrical box maybe ?? I would be looking for it. Should be pretty apparent when you see it. I can't see where it would be any better than plugging it in the the harness with some dielectric grease in the plug for water proofing. Also, if it's in line, and the plug is still live and you plug a sensor into that, your really throwing the ecu for a loop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah I don’t know what he’s taking about the cat sensor is still plugged directly into the harness that goes into the electrical box. None of the bolts or screws to the black electrical box look like that have been turned. Meaning that still have crosion and surface rust on them and look like they haven’t been turned in years. PROBABLY SINCE IT WAS PUT TOGETHER. Propbably going to take it back to him next week and show me what he did, or what he didn’t do! ?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
that all sounds mighty fishy to me. there is no way what he said would work with the sensor plugged in and in the loop. As Rods stated. yes, you could technically install the resister inside the electrical box to keep it water tight. But why?? plugging in the chip with dielectric grease and a little tape and your done and its water tight.
non of this makes any sense???..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
?’ie to say the least. I think just for peace of mind I’m going to haul the ski back down to him and make him show me what he did. Couldn’t hurt. Then on to find a new mechanic. Dave and Rods I wish I was up your way so you could recommend someone trustworthy.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Unfortunate you've starting off with a bad experience in a great sport. Finding a good mechanic can be even more difficult. Unfortunately again, it's happenings like this that make all mechanics look bad and make people not trust them.
When you find a good mechanic. they'll own up to a mistake if they make one.

I do all my own work.

Here and greenhulk you'll find some of the best info/help in my opinion. Great people willing to help. But I'm partial to here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Interesting to say the least. From the sounds of it I got hosed for $200 for a D-plate replacement and Cat Chip that didn’t get installed. ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So just an update guys, still haven’t gotten any work of the GP since we last talked. Have taken it out a few times. Last week I had it out and rode for about three hours. Had only one warning light with the exhaust over heat and engine light flashing during that time. Did the same as I always do.. just cut the power off for about 1 minutes and turned her back on and kept riding. She’s been preforming well minus the the codes but all in all I believe it to be a faulty sensor. I’ll keep you posted, we are going to try and trouble shoot it this coming week.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts