Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 Waverunner FX Cruiser HO, which I purchased new from Performance Powersports in Seneca South Carolina. The vessel has been fully maintained by the dealership since new, garaged every winter, docked on a lift and religiously covered. With only 95 hours of use and just after having the annual service performed, the engine broke a ring, lost oil and damaged a cylinder. The result of this malfunction is an estimate of $3000 to replace the engine!

The dealership, nor Yamaha is willing to stand behind their product, and I am left with the cost to repair.

While I understand that the vessel is out of warranty, it seems abundantly clear that the engine on this top of the line PWC should last far beyond 95 hours! Is their a manufacturing issue? Was the maintenance performed to standard? I don't know, but it bodes the question.....

Yamaha's customer service is horrific! It is basically a one and done phone call, where I received no satisfaction, rude communication, and a dead end with respect to speaking with or writing to a higher authority.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Take it to another dealer. Mainly, yamaha will take recommendations from the dealer. If i were you Id call yamaha USA and speak to the national sales manager and not the guys in service as they have more pull on what happens. They should be able to go back through the skis history from the diagnostics and check you havent rolled it or whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your comments. Unfortunaltly I have gone to Yamaha USA. They were the ones that were terribly rude. The dealer has asked for support as well, but YAMAHA refuses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have the same model ski you have.From what I have heard your situation is a rare occurrance with yamaha engine failures.I know that don,t help much but I can hook you up with a trained yamaha tech who works at home and very reasonable if your are interested.He is located in Anderson SC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your response underscores my frustration, and my feeling that Yamaha, should provide some assistance. In my opinion, this catastrophic failure would only happen if their was a manufacturing issue, or a maintenance issue. By maintenance, I question if the mechaninc at Performance actually put in the required amount of oil.

As for a recommendation on a mechanic, I am interested in looking at this option, and seeing what it would cost. I really can't afford to have the repairs done right now, but maybe over the winter.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts