Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Turbo

• Have you had turbo problems?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Have you had warranty claim problems with Honda?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda will not cover under extended warranty the non-operation of the waste gate valve in the turbo (hot side). Says it is a lack of maintenance; however, the Honda dealer states that almost all turbo models he sees that come from salt water have the same problem (no matter how well maintained).

So depending if the gate sticks open or closed, the machine either runs very slow (no boost) or very fast (too much boost). Unfortunately with too much boost, you will soon receive the "FI" fuel injection alarm due to the fuel:air mixture being too lean. And the computer will start to down-power the engine.

Honda's answer: since the turbo is in the exhaust system and the exhaust system controls emissions, they do not repair any item in the exhaust system. They only replace. SO, replace the turbo. Which means pull the engine out "scale of project" to access the turbo and have $5000 in your checking account ready to spend.

There must be an alternative solution? Has anyone run into this?

Suggestions:
Install an air side waste gate and adjust (Turbo controller) to avoid FI alarm?
By-pass FI sensor/alarm?
Increase fuel flow?

Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Run SEA Foam in the gas. It will help to keep the exhaust system for carbon build up. Only suggestion I have, and sea foam in the gas works awasome from carbon build up with 2 stroke engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
turbo problem

I feel your pain on this one I have a fleet of these I rent and all of them have had turbo failures.. to only find out it was a stuck wastegate..I have spent enough on turbo replacement to have bought new pwc's. and by the way none of mine are saltwater use/ fresh water only... Honda of course loves my service bills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
turbo Help

does anyone know of a turbo repair shop that can fix these bad turbo's i have
I have called around and emailed I hear rumor there is a guy in florida but no luck finding the shop yet..

Help!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is your wastegate actuator shaft frozen or is the actuator "can" rusted through and leaking air? If you pull off the exhaust elbow above the turbo on the F models you can get easy access to the WG/ WG Actuator to troubleshoot it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts