Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a brand new 07 F12X and did my first oil change at 10hrs. However I checked the oil about 5 min after pulling it out of the water and the oil level is well above the level it should be. I used a pump to pump the oil out of the dipstick area and the filler hole on the backside of the engine and refilled it with 4.4qts of oil like the manual says. Why would this happen? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine is the same way. if i put in exactly what i'm supposed to I don't have enough oil. You need to hook it up to a water line after you change it. Add your oil run it for a bit and check the oil lever and do whats right add or take some out. Mine calls for 4.5 qrt on a 05 turbo and I always end up putting in almost 6 quarts to get it to the full mark. Just take your time and do it right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Use cold oil level check?

Hey there,

With the dry sump system setup as it is, seems like there is only a short window of opportunity to get the right level on the dipstick from the fill tank.

Basicly, if you have shutoff the engine you have only a minute or so before most of that oil in the tank has drained back into the crankcase (as it all pumps out and into the tank while running).

I too was having headaches getting the right reading on the stick until I went with cold check in the drain hole. This is explained on page 162 of your manual, look at step 5. It is a bit confusing the way they explain it. I feel it is the most reliable way to get an absolute reading.

Overfilling can cause a lot of windage and likely a host of other problems. I jack the front of my trailer up really high and draw all the old oil out and swap filters and it seems that 4.4 to 4.5 gallons does the stick right on the money every time this way.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 new 2007 F12X, 5 quarts required by Honda. I bought a 2 gal Dipstick Oil Extractor from Northern Tool LiquiVac Oil Extractor — 2 Gallon | Oil Extractors | Northern Tool + Equipment from the rear extraction point I pulled all 5 qt. out, as the extractor jug is clearly marked. Then refilled the exact same amount. EZ.

Only Beef I have is using the molly blend oil $11 per quart, for the turbo plus filter costs me as much as changing the oil on my Powerstroke, 15 quart oil change. I have heard rumors that Motorcycle 10/40 had been approved for the turbo models. Can anyone confirm Honda approved the regular oil w/o the MB?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bump for a great question I know many owners of the later model fuel injected dirt bikes are switching over to using 15w-40 Rotella Diesel oil with a lot of success.

All domestic diesels sold today have a turbo (heck my Powesrtoke comes from the factory with compounds), so I may do a little more research and make the switch on my R-12x. This oil was designed to be run through turbos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts