Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to pwc so need a little help here.got a 07 vx110 everything was OK on my last ride.washed it and flushed it.next day i wanted to go and ride again.tried to start it.the engine turns cranks but will not start everything looks OK except for the dash gauges not turning on when i try to start the engine.I'm confused ?? Please help.
Thanks!!

· Registered
3,032 Posts
Have you checked the battery. You need a full charge to crank this ski. Usually when the display will not light it is a low or bad battery. You should see 12.4-12.7 volts at rest. I'd try a different battery first. Make sure the leads are very tight and corrosion free, and look at the fuses.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the battery. You need a full charge to crank this ski. Usually when the display will not light it is a low or bad battery. You should see 12.4-12.7 volts at rest. I'd try a different battery first. Make sure the leads are very tight and corrosion free, and look at the fuses.
I checked the fuses they are all ok leads on battery are tight.like I said the engine turns normal like it should but will not start and the dash gauges will not turn on. I disconected all the,plugs that are under the steering jumped the brown and red to bypass the lanyard swithch but no luck

· Registered
3,032 Posts
My next guess would be a loose connector someplace. I'd start with the dash connectors, plug and unplug. You can get to the display connectors by removing the panel in the front storage compartment.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vx110 problems

My next guess would be a loose connector someplace. I'd start with the dash connectors, plug and unplug. You can get to the display connectors by removing the panel in the front storage compartment.
I already did that and today I bought the electric plug spray cleaner and cleaned all the plugs I found on the engine compartment but no luck.Is there any plugs and connectors on the inside of the cowling faring if i remove it. is the only thing I have not done yet cause I tried to remove the bolts on the handlebars cover and they will not come out they are way too tight and if I don't remove that I cannot remove the cowling faring.Other than that I found a spark plug with some sand on it so that means I have a head gasket leak right?? but the weird thing is that the jet ski was running ok and still if it has a head leak the dash gauges will still turn on right?? or is there some type of security that will not the jet ski or dash turn on because of that problem??

· Registered
3,032 Posts
Even with the ski in lock mode, the display should light. Now I'm thinking you either have a bad display or a bad wiring harness. The way the VX is set up, I'm pretty sure it won't start if the display is bad. There have also been several reports with the wiring harness developing problems, so it could be either of those.

Sand on a spark plug does not sound good. Water intrusion from someplace. Could you have gotten some water in there when you flushed it (water running when the engine was off)? Very rare for a head gasket to go on these skis..........in fact I've never heard of it. I'd say a rare possibility. Have you checked the compression? Almost sounds like 2 separate problems.......even if you got some water the display should still be working???

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vx110 problem

Even with the ski in lock mode, the display should light. Now I'm thinking you either have a bad display or a bad wiring harness. The way the VX is set up, I'm pretty sure it won't start if the display is bad. There have also been several reports with the wiring harness developing problems, so it could be either of those.

Sand on a spark plug does not sound good. Water intrusion from someplace. Could you have gotten some water in there when you flushed it (water running when the engine was off)? Very rare for a head gasket to go on these skis..........in fact I've never heard of it. I'd say a rare possibility. Have you checked the compression? Almost sounds like 2 separate problems.......even if you got some water the display should still be working???

My vx is the sport model that does not come with the security and lock mode.Guess I'm gonna have to try with a different display if I can find one all the wire harness looks ok to me.Also be I will be doing a compression test.But the previous owner said that he did an engine rebuild. Changed piston rings,bearings ,timing chain, not because of engine failure but because he wanted to cause the PWC has a lot of hours on it 700 + hours.Ill let you guys know what happens.
Thanks!

· Registered
3,032 Posts
All bets are off on a rebuilt engine. On those engines anything is possible to fail, because they usually do the rebuilds with cheaper Chinese parts. I'd definitely do a compression check. Must have been a former rental ski with 700+ hours. Those skis get ridden hard, used and abused. I'd add a bad ECU to the list of possibilities.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All bets are off on a rebuilt engine. On those engines anything is possible to fail, because they usually do the rebuilds with cheaper Chinese parts. I'd definitely do a compression check. Must have been a former rental ski with 700+ hours. Those skis get ridden hard, used and abused. I'd add a bad ECU to the list of possibilities.
Yes you are right it was a rental jet ski the guy who had it before me said he bought it from a rental.Is a little beat up hull an high hours but I got a good fair price $2700 and since the engine had been rebuilt I decided to buy. Those skis sell here for $5800 to $6500.It's my first ski I did not want to spend too much but let's see what happens now whith this problem.

· Registered
40 Posts
Make sure your fuse box is still with good fuses.

Try cleaning the wirings-including the fuel injectors, and put some diaelectric grease on them, then get a new set of spark plugs.

My 07 VX only had 1 cylinder sparked, i freaked... thought had to do a rebuild of some kind...turned out the cause by foul plugs.

Mine is at 756hours and no rebuild yet, still run wot at 50+mph. These things are built to run up to 2000hrs.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure your fuse box is still with good fuses.

Try cleaning the wirings-including the fuel injectors, and put some diaelectric grease on them, then get a new set of spark plugs.

My 07 VX only had 1 cylinder sparked, i freaked... thought had to do a rebuild of some kind...turned out the cause by foul plugs.

Mine is at 756hours and no rebuild yet, still run wot at 50+mph. These things are built to run up to 2000hrs.
I checked all wires connectors cleaned them and checked all fuses the ignitions and no spark I took it to a mechanic he used another cdi from another Vx110 and nothing happened either.could it be the stator?? Bad relay???

· Registered
3,032 Posts
I'd go back to the basics and do them in this order:

1. Pull the spark plugs and see if you are getting spark when you crank it (you need to ground the plug). I'd check every plug, since you can have multiple bad ignition coils, so you want to see spark on all 4. If you are not getting spark, you can check the resistances and cranking output voltages from the stator (let me know if you need the specifics for this step).

2. If you have spark, next I'd check to see if you have fuel flow (you can disconnect the line and check it when cranking the engine).

3. If you have spark and fuel flow, I'd check the compression next.............should be 180+ on each cylinder.

Go through these steps and report back.

· Registered
3 Posts
hi, im a technician in training at wyotech daytona, located in daytona beach florida. im enrolled and two months from graduation in the off road power program my program covers jet skis, atvs, snow mobiles, utvs, and dirtbike/asian sports bikes. heres what i know based on what ive read. one, even though the motor turns over a load test should be done to battery first. you can do this yourself if you have a load tester, if not i would remove the battery and take it to a shop, or even a auto parts store. once that is done if the battery checks out then i would begin chasing voltage. of you have access to a service manual for your machine you will need to find the wiring diagram. if not either purchase one of try to google search it. you need to know the path electricity is supposed to take to you ecu and from ecu to your display. im not sure if the display effect this models ability to run however what i do kno is your not expirencing a starting circuit problem. you either have a fuel delivery problem or ignition circuit problem because the starter is turning the moter. i agree with the guy who says suspect the ecu and wiring harness. your starter circuit is independant of your main harness i believe. so with a DVOM(digital volts ohms meter) you must check for voltage into you ecu and out to the rest of your componants. if your machine is fuel injected then a loss of power to ecu will shut down both fuel delivery and ignition as well as everything else. its very hard to isolate a ecu as the problem but if everything else checks out then the ecu is the only thing left. if you would like i would be more than happy to assist you in checking your systems via this forum. good luck

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys sorry i had not reported back.I took the pwc to a mechanic about 1 month ago and he fixed the problem by next day.When i got home I checked and what he did was put a switch that connected the fuel pump to the lanyard switch. by an external switch he installed.When you turn on the external switch the fuel pump turns on and the dash and the pwc starts right up.But when i go ride it kills the battery fast.The guy said I could leave the external switch on the whole day when i go riding witch I never did every time i turned off the pwc i turned off the switch.Last time I went riding I left the switch on with the pwc turned off while I jumped in the water to swim I stayed about 5 to 10 min and when i cranked the pwc It lamost would not start cause of low battery.The other problem I got is that it starts beeping right about 5 minutes after I start riding and check engine light comes on.So you guys have any idea how i could eliminate this switch and put the pwc to work back together like it should?? I was thinking maybe a bad relay and that is why he jumped the fuel pump with the lanyard switch??.Everything else is ok there is no water getting into the spark plug as I thought.and the pwc runs from 48 to 52 mph.Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks!

· Registered
3,032 Posts
The mechanic that installed the switch obviously knows what the problem is......why not just ask him? I'm guessing a bad wiring harness, because replacining the relay would probably have been easier than installing a switch.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The mechanic that installed the switch obviously knows what the problem is......why not just ask him? I'm guessing a bad wiring harness, because replacining the relay would probably have been easier than installing a switch.
I know but all he said was that there was a problem with ecu I did not beleive him so thatis why I checked and found out where he connected the switch.I told him that I wantedto go and ride so he saidhe was going to do the fastest thing to get it working

· Registered
3,032 Posts
There is no real diagnosis for the ECU. You just have to swap it for a good one and see if that fixes the problem...........expensive, unless you can find a used one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts