Personal Water Craft Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Still problema with my vx110

So i took the jet ski to another mechanic cause it would not start.he told me the starter was bad and also had to replace wear ring.I bought both parts and replaced.But now same thing again :dunno: The jet ski turns but no spark or fuel.I found an old thread about this same issue, but the guys never reported what solved the problem.My mechanic said I need to replace the ECU and probably the fuel pump:furious3: Please any help advice? tired of spending $$ on something i cannot use or ride? Thinking of selling it like that

· Registered
3,032 Posts
I hate to advise you to keep throwing parts at it, but a new wiring harness would be my next choice. Wiring harness problems on the VX are more common than problems with the ECU. Keep in mind the the ECU and harness on these skis are model specific. For the ECU an 05-07 should work, but not other model years. For the wiring harness you need one off another 07.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
vx110 ecu ??

I hate to advise you to keep throwing parts at it, but a new wiring harness would be my next choice. Wiring harness problems on the VX are more common than problems with the ECU. Keep in mind the the ECU and harness on these skis are model specific. For the ECU an 05-07 should work, but not other model years. For the wiring harness you need one off another 07.

The one I bought was from an 09 vx110 sport . Why is it different?? It fitted in the 07 wiring harness.Please report back if its different i can try to return it back.

· Registered
3,032 Posts
There are slight differences in the ECUs and especially the wiring harnesses between model years. An 09 ECU would not work on your machine according to Boatnet parts cross matching, but an 05-07 should.

You have to match the part numbers on the electrical stuff, or you will get in trouble. There are little differences between model years that will prevent it from working even if it looks identical. Look up your part number on: Boats.net - New and Used Boats for Sale, Outboard Boat Motors, and Discount Outboard Boat Parts and be sure whatever part you buy is a match. In some cases you will be OK if only the last 2 digits of the part number are different, but if any of the other numbers are different, then it probably will not work.

I'd try to return the 09 ECU.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There are slight differences in the ECUs and especially the wiring harnesses between model years. An 09 ECU would not work on your machine according to Boatnet parts cross matching, but an 05-07 should.

You have to match the part numbers on the electrical stuff, or you will get in trouble. There are little differences between model years that will prevent it from working even if it looks identical. Look up your part number on: Boats.net - New and Used Boats for Sale, Outboard Boat Motors, and Discount Outboard Boat Parts and be sure whatever part you buy is a match. In some cases you will be OK if only the last 2 digits of the part number are different, but if any of the other numbers are different, then it probably will not work.

I'd try to return the 09 ECU.

So I returned the ecu and the guy send me a complete wiring harness with lanyard switch.:dunno::smashfreakB: Installed the wiring and lanyard plugged my ecu and nothing changed.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
VX110 starting problem

So I installed another ecu from an 06 vx110.Now the dash works and you can hear the fuel pump turn on when i crank it:) but wont start.Should it be old gas?? I opened the gas cap and it does no smell old but it has been in that tank since last July 2012.please any advice??:dunno: I know Im close.By the way the check engine light and warning light is turning on checked the code and said 142 any of u know what that is?

· Registered
3,032 Posts
Error code 142 is a problem with the electronic throttle system. Since the VX does not have an electronic throttle (something found on the newer 1.8L series skis), I don't know what is causing it. Obviously a problem in the system someplace.

When you say the ski will not start, is it turning over but just not firing? If so have you checked to see if you have spark? If it is not turning over, then you probably still have a problem with the harness or ECU.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Error code 142 is a problem with the electronic throttle system. Since the VX does not have an electronic throttle (something found on the newer 1.8L series skis), I don't know what is causing it. Obviously a problem in the system someplace.

When you say the ski will not start, is it turning over but just not firing? If so have you checked to see if you have spark? If it is not turning over, then you probably still have a problem with the harness or ECU.

I reset the code .the problem is that there is no gas. I removed the fuel injectors and poured some gas and the jet ski fired up. So the problem is gas. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and I touched the fuel line and feels hard like it has gas on it. So is there some kind of sensor that would not let the gas go through?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Finally!!!

:):laugh::D I got my jet ski running again.The noise i thought was the fuel pump turning on came out to be the throttle body opening and closing when i cranked the engine,so pulled the out the fuel pump hose cranked the engine and no gas coming out of the fuel pump.I spoke to this guy who specializes in fixing yamaha vx's he told me to check if there was ground on the fuel pump cable.So i went and grounded the ground cable on the fuel pump ,cranked the engine and started right up finally:).He said that i could keep it grounded like i did or change the earth box cause that was the problem.I decided to keep it with the external ground cable i did.Planning to go to the beach this weekend to try it out. Almost a year to solve an issue but very happy

· Registered
5 Posts
man I’m having similar issue but mines cranked right up after getting a new pump and injectors cleaned out now it won’t rev flap on tb not opening Relaxed tb and still nothing Now just found one of the tb cable from ecu had no continuity so ima replace that cable and see if it I’m sure tps went

21 - 31 of 31 Posts