Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the 07 vx serviced with oil change and plugs. 120 hours on it. Ski runs fine as far as i can tell, but after maybe 30 minutes of riding, the check engine light turns on along with the warning light and buzzer. When i retrieve the code it says 01 which means that the system is running normal.

No other lights are on.

Can too much oil be the cause? What could it possibly be?

On a side note, about 2 weeks ago code 47 (slant detection switch malfunction) showed up but went away later without me doing work on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the oil level after riding it easily for about 10 minutes to warm it up ?
no i have not done that yet. when on my trailer the oil level is about halfway between full and empty on the dipstick. i cant say if the ski is sitting level or not, but based on what i've read, that seems to be too much when it's cold. that got me to thinking if too much oil can cause the check engine light to come on?

can a weak battery cause the light to come on?

i haven't had a chance to take it out on the water yet. maybe tomorrow?

·
Super Moderator
5,047 Posts
Oil should be checked warm or hot. It expands. Yes a weak or bad battery can, and will cause the light to come on. How old is it ? To properly test it, it needs to be charged for about a hour on 1 or 2 amp, sit over night on the bench, then a load test done on it. If your noticing it seems to be cranking a little slower than normal, it is poss. the battery is on it's way out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil should be checked warm or hot. It expands. Yes a weak or bad battery can, and will cause the light to come on. How old is it ? To properly test it, it needs to be charged for about a hour on 1 or 2 amp, sit over night on the bench, then a load test done on it. If your noticing it seems to be cranking a little slower than normal, it is poss. the battery is on it's way out.
i use a battery tender jr. to trickle charge it. i think its only half an amp. not strong enough?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The tenders are usually .5A to .75A they will charge the battery but will take longer depending on how low it is. With a tender leave it on over night.
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tenders are usually .5A to .75A they will charge the battery but will take longer depending on how low it is. With a tender leave it on over night.
How old is the battery?
the tender indicates that it is fully charged. it does take longer than usual to start the motor. the battery does show a bit of weakness.

the battery came with the ski when i got it in march 2017. it looks new.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Unfortunately if you can't find a date on the battery there's no way to say how old. The batteries in a ski tend not to look old, as they are well protected. Don't want to tell you to get a battery as they aren't cheap. But you could charge it over night and take it to auto parts store for load test. And go from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update: oil level is a wee bit above full after riding it around for 10 minutes like Rod said above. I will remove a bit of oil.

i have another ski so i swapped the batteries and the same jetski beeped the check engine light again while the other one with the "possibly bad battery" did not have the light come on. Pretty much rules out the battery?

What could possibly trigger the check engine light while still have the ski show code 01 and operate as normal?

·
Super Moderator
5,047 Posts
The other prob. with the oil over full is it can find it's way into the intake system. Have you checked the voltage at the battery when it is running ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check engine light? If it's a car, then it may have something with emission problem. So replace spark plugs and check air filter. Too much oil can foul spark plugs and clog up air filter. Just run without air filter to see if you still have the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you have reduced/limited power when the light comes on?
Critical sensors like overheating, will cause the system to go into limp home mode which will reduce power to limit or stop damage and allow you to get to shore.
Other sensors will just bring up the warning indicator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check engine light? If it's a car, then it may have something with emission problem. So replace spark plugs and check air filter. Too much oil can foul spark plugs and clog up air filter. Just run without air filter to see if you still have the problem.
plugs were just replaced, but i can check again.
my air filter compartment's screws are rusted from the previous owner and i haven't been able to open it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have reduced/limited power when the light comes on?
Critical sensors like overheating, will cause the system to go into limp home mode which will reduce power to limit or stop damage and allow you to get to shore.
Other sensors will just bring up the warning indicator.
no i dont have reduced power. limp mode doesnt happen. it runs as it should. the light comes on after 15-20 minutes of riding. i dont know if its a coincidence or not, but the light came on as soon as i decelerated quickly. Rode it at 40 mph and then let go of the throttle fully to slow down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just joined. I bought a similar ski. It just came from the shop with a frest oil change and new impeller. Rode once now problem. Second time rode far and on the way back it started saying overheat. I turn it off and wait 2 minutes and it’s fine. No problems at slow speeds either. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts