Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW TO PWC.

I've been looking at the FX and VX models and have narrowed my search down to a couple at this point. I'm schedule to go look at a couple this weekend and i'm a bit torn. I really like the FX model however the VX is new w/ lower hrs. They're roughly the same price at about $5K. The ski's appear to be in basically the same condition - well kept, covered, records for maintenance, etc. It's the years / hrs that concern me. Can someone help me weigh the pros and cons of these two models, years, hrs? And/ or other items to take into consideration?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks yamadoo! My thoughts exactly. I was just a bit concerned about the fx hours at 95. what is the typically life expectancy for a yahama four stroke (assuming it's properly maintained)? I've read in other threads as little as 500 hrs and high as 1000 hrs so a bit confused. Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
95 hours is practically nothing if the ski has been well maintained. On other forums, guys are claiming 5000 plus hours on some skis.

The FX will give you a more stable, dryer ride than the VX. My brother has both an FXHO and a VX, and his wife refuses to ride the VX because she gets soaked in rough water. The FX will also make a better towing platform, and is more stable for multiple riders. You can tow with the VX, but it is not as stable. The FX will plow through the waves and the VX will bounce over them, so speed is reduced with the VX in rough stuff. Both skis have the same top speed (53-54 mph), if this is the FX model. The FXHO model will do around 60 mph. The VX will get slightly better gas mileage. Both are very reliable.

Having ridden both models, I'd agree with YamaDoo and recommend you get the FX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ernest T!

This is great info! I'll be sure to check out the maintenance records. Also, appreciate the additional insight re: performance and handling. We plan to take the boys tubing a fair amount so being more stable is a definite plus. Also, know my wife will appreciate the feedback as well since she plans to ride a lot and doesn't care for the splashing and feeling 'unstable'.

Thanks Again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts