Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all--first time posting. recently bought a high hours ex-rental vx110 sport (730 hours) has a non-starting pattern that is consistent. starts and runs fine when cold, put in water and runs no problem until you turn it off. then will not restart, just cranks and cranks till battery dies, but no start. will occasionally sputter like an intermittent spark. wait 2-3 hours, unit will start, but then will do same thing. once running, 5 minutes of high, variable idle, then settles to normal and runs fine (to about 50). changed plugs--same pattern, changed oil--found water in the oil--( yes, we know, we did not flush with engine off.) charging fine when running, battery good. any ideas where to look next. no bearing noises, no vibration. thanks for your help.
martin

·
Registered
323 Posts
That's a tricky one. When it is playing up, can you hear the fuel pump working? I know the early FX140's had a wiring loom problem and had to install a capacitor between the cam position sensor and the loom to reduce the electrical interference between wires. I think, given that it has a little water in the oil that the valves aren't seating properly. Moisture build up can sometimes create surface rust on the valves causing them not to seat. You will have to pull the manifolds off to check this. When the engine is cold the valves will seat better whilst contracted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vx110 wont start warm answer i hope

thanks for your help GC
I think we may have found the answer for anyone interested. looks like an exhaust/Water jacket leak. this has allowed the salt water to enter the crankcase oil and sea water to foul/wet the plugs. found a small leak in the exhaust "can". this sounds like a rare thing so it may not be of any help to other yamaha owners, but who knows. Thanks for your help. happy riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts