Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Community,

I've got a 1100 ZXI ('97 or '98) which doesn't seem to run quite up to spec and I'm asking for advice. I also posted questions about my INOP 750 ZXI under a separate post.

PRESENT CONDITION
Starts, but if cold a little hard. Lots of cranks.

Once running stays running.

Some hesitation on reasonable acceleration (not abrupt acceleration but what I would term "normal" application of throttle)

Compressions (cold) 120,121,121

New plugs

Top speed on the speedo about 53 under ideal conditions (flat, trimmed up, clean plugs) and I'm inclined to believe the speedo. Ran alongside other boats and there was good correlation

Factory oil injection, at idle plenty of smoke which I'm guessing is ratio not ideal when running slow. Doesn't surprise me.

I've been adding just a little oil to the fuel "just in case". Maybe 150:1.

QUESTIONS
1. Are compressions OK?

2. What can I do, if anything, for the hard start?

3. In terms of working through the hesitation, and/or limitation on top speed, any suggestions? Where should I start? Rebuild carbs?

4. What should I expect for top speed?

5. Should I yank oil system and just do premix?

6. Is my strategy to add some oil sound?

I really appreciate the help.

Doug

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
Compression is good. I would get some carb kit and rebuild them. Don't use the new needle springs. The old ones should be fine. Be sure and clean the carbs out thoroughly.
The oil injection system is all you need, They are pretty reliable. The two week links of it on the kawi triples are the oil lines them selves getting old, and the bearings that are on the oil pump drive in the stator cover. Actually, they are not really weak links, just need to be serviced on a regular basis (bearings replaced on the drive, and lines replaced).
Do the carbs one at a time and don't disassemble the rack or it will unsync the carbs. Count how many turns from seat the mixtures screws are for each carb. Must be return to that exact position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rodsathart.

In terms of the "normal" service items you referenced, any suggestion where to go for the parts?

Do you any thoughts on the benefit of adding a primer kit while we are working on the carbs?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
I got my bearings off ebay if I remember right. It's been a while. There is no part number listed for them and they have to be pressed on the drive.
I don't really believe in primer kits. If you do decide to ad one, you CANNOT put it in place of the choke on the cv carbs. It tends to screw up air flow. It has to be added to the flame arrestor top pointing down each carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same hard to start the first time like it cranked for 40 seconds, but then would start right up after that. I saw somewhere on this forum that there can be a small amount of fuel leakage in the carbs, o-rings cracked around the needle valve housings. So fuel was leaking past the needle valves into the combustion area, which makes it hard to start, wet plug, etc. But to address the problem without tearing down the carbs, just turn the fuel valve to the off position, between on and reserve, straight down, when it is going to sit for awhile. Probably a good habit to do anyway, like even stopping for an hour at for a lake-side lunch. By doing that I can start it in 10 seconds after a week of non-use..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts