Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Polaris 1200 DI Need Help!!!!!!

I take care of cabins in NW wisconsin and have now run across 2 polaris 1200 DI with lots of problems.

1. 2001 Genesis with a scored piston and gauged cylinder. After 2 months and about 450.00 we located the parts put it back together it still wouldn't run. Come to find out the ecm is bad after a month and 1400.00 we got a new one and it runs, but the engine bay is filling up with smoke and don't know why. Well after a lot of thinking we went on a whim that the exaughst baffels were cracked. sure enough both were and after 2 months and about 400.00 it was a put back together and runs but too late to test ride.

The other:

2. 2000 or 2001 Virage all three pistons scored and cylinders gauged look just like the other piston and cylinder. This one ran before we took it apart did a compression test and got 85-125-75. now with an estimate of 1450.00 to fix it my customer is thinking about junking it.:dunno:

What is causing these things to burn down like this and is it a very common probblem. What type of oil should be used in these things. I've talked to a couple dealers and they say this series is the reason polaris doesn't make jetskis anymore.

I owned a 95 SL 750 and absolutely loved it. Great machine.

Thanks ahead for the help
Ian

·
Registered
2 Posts
man i feel your pain...i bought and 02 Virage TXi, its the same motor as the Genesis.

i have over 100 hours on this thing and its been sitting in my garage since March of 07..i was out in the ocean when she just died me...i took it in and polaris said that compression in cylinder 1 is low. my results were 90-140-130..polaris reccomended all new pistions and boring the cylinders out and replacing the oil pump since all the cylinder walls had some scoring in them...Polaris wanted $1400 just for ONE cylinder fix and a oil pump...i said forget it and left...

im still paying on this thing with like 3K to go!! i bought it new in 02 for $8400...WHAT DO I DO?...is there and insurance claim that i put down on this? the mechanic suspected water in the oil reservior casued the scaring? i always used Polaris Gold oil..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I take care of cabins in NW wisconsin and have now run across 2 polaris 1200 DI with lots of problems.

1. 2001 Genesis with a scored piston and gauged cylinder. After 2 months and about 450.00 we located the parts put it back together it still wouldn't run. Come to find out the ecm is bad after a month and 1400.00 we got a new one and it runs, but the engine bay is filling up with smoke and don't know why. Well after a lot of thinking we went on a whim that the exaughst baffels were cracked. sure enough both were and after 2 months and about 400.00 it was a put back together and runs but too late to test ride.

The other:

2. 2000 or 2001 Virage all three pistons scored and cylinders gauged look just like the other piston and cylinder. This one ran before we took it apart did a compression test and got 85-125-75. now with an estimate of 1450.00 to fix it my customer is thinking about junking it.:dunno:

What is causing these things to burn down like this and is it a very common probblem. What type of oil should be used in these things. I've talked to a couple dealers and they say this series is the reason polaris doesn't make jetskis anymore.

I owned a 95 SL 750 and absolutely loved it. Great machine.

Thanks ahead for the help
Ian[/QUOTE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts