Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, my ski is a 2000. I just bought it less than 2 weeks ago. Before I bought it checked compression and took it for a short ride. Everything checked out so I bought it.

Took it out once for a couple hours, averaging probably 30mph or more, and it ran just fine. The second time I took it out, it was having power issues, and after about 10-15 minutes the exhaust temp warning came on. Looked it over, and found that a loose exhaust stud was rubbing against a spark plug boot, so we fixed that. It ran just fine again, but the exhaust light came on after a few minutes once again. Checked out the exhaust and it didn't feel unusually warm.

Took it to a local shop, and they tell me it needs a new water pump and prop, and it's going to set me back $1300. They also said the exhaust valves should probably be cleaned because it has close to 100 hours.

I assume they mean the jet pump and impeller, but wouldn't I be having power issues if it were either of these? They told me water isn't circulating to cool the exhaust and the engine.

I appreciate any help and advice!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If there is space between the impeller and wear ring you would definitely notice a loss in power, and if severe enough could result in a lack of cooling water into the engine. How many hours on the ski? The wear ring has to be replaced eventually, but usually not the impeller, unless it is damaged.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are about 95 hours on the machine.

I picked up the ski today, and got the list of parts they told me it needs. They said it will need:
-impeller duct ($146.22)
-2X Oil Seal
-2X Bearing
-O-Ring
-High Tension Cord AS ($89.28)
-Gasket Cover
-Impeller ($317.56)

Parts come out to be about $650, and labor is about the same. Looking at the diagrams in the service manual, I don't see how these parts affect the cooling of the internal components. I don't know where the water is drawn to feed the cooling, but I don't see anything involving these parts. Also, my ski really doesn't have power issues if the exhaust stud is tightened. The only thing I notice is that it only gets up to about 47mph according to the speedo, and I've heard these can top 60.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If water is bypassing the impeller it will not be pumped up into the ski to cool the engine. I'd ask them what is wrong with the impeller that it needs to be replaced. The other stuff seems reasonable. Sounds like someting got sucked up into the pump and did some damage.

I'd make sure there is some sort of warranty that goes along with the repair...........like if this doesn't work, I get my money back, etc..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the water drawn from for cooling?

I don't know exactly how these work, but I would think if the impeller is bad then I would have noticeable power issues as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi I am sure you have checked the cat converter. My 2000 1200 xl limited broke off at 96 hrs and was stuck in the pipe. The exhaust warning would go off at about 5 to 10 mins of riding. Maybe you already have a d-plate, if not, its not a super tough fix. B

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^I actually just bought a d-plate, and I'm waiting for it to get here. From what everybody says, that's my problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2000 xl limited

Hi again, if you have not looked then I would say about 95% certain this wil fix your problem. It is probably broke off in your exhuast so it will work sometimes and then sometimes cause a heat issue. Also with mine if you are going to do it yourself rotate it over the enging toward the power valve. Thanks B

·
Registered
6 Posts
check catalyst first , install your d-plate , plug chip in to temp. harness and try. When you putting all back together use proper threadlocker as Loctite and tight all bolts with spec. torque

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, I tore this thing apart today once my shipment from RIVA came it. I didn't realize I'd have to pull out the exhaust, or I would have done that before. Turns out my cat was completely detached from where I believe it was originally mounted. Installed the d-plate and everything went back together pretty well, although I'm not completely done yet.

One question I have is about the sensor chip. Do I just leave the exhaust sensor and wires, or should I buy a bolt or something that will fit in there?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts