Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am brand new to the forum, and almost new to the wave runner world. I have been boating my whole life, and am retired from the Navy, but bought my first water ski last year. It is a 20187 Yamaha EX Deluxe, and so far I am loving it - except.... When I put it in the water (not started) it takes on water fairly quickly, but I can't tell where from. When I am riding it, the water siphons out through the "Bilge Pump", but id I just left the ski in the water, she would eventually be a fish reef. I keep the ski on a floating dock, but I do have a trailer I can load her up on of necessary. Anyone have any ideas where I should start looking for the leak? As I said, with the ski in the water, I really couldn't tell where the water was coming from. Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue. Sooooo frustrating. I have a 2019 GP 1800 supercharged- and for the past 2 days, I had 4 inches of water inside of it (after riding for about 1 hour)
I will post my issue as well, but I can tell you what I have done thus far.
Start looking for any leaks around the Drain plugs. Do they have a good seal? Ride the ski, if you can, with the seats off, that way you can see if there is any water spraying inside - maybe of of those hoses came loose.
I have done those things but I couldn’t figure it out still. I am waiting to take to service.
good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having the same issue. Sooooo frustrating. I have a 2019 GP 1800 supercharged- and for the past 2 days, I had 4 inches of water inside of it (after riding for about 1 hour)
I will post my issue as well, but I can tell you what I have done thus far.
Start looking for any leaks around the Drain plugs. Do they have a good seal? Ride the ski, if you can, with the seats off, that way you can see if there is any water spraying inside - maybe of of those hoses came loose.
I have done those things but I couldn’t figure it out still. I am waiting to take to service.
good luck!
Thanks for the reply sir! I have also checked around the drain plugs. Pretty sure it isn't a hose spraying, because it is filling while sitting n the water with motor off.
You shouldn't have 4" in your bilge after riding. Your bilge pump is clogged - easy fix. Still doesn't fix the water source, but will keep you from damaging motor, or even worse - sinking. Let me know I you need help with the bilge pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply sir! I have also checked around the drain plugs. Pretty sure it isn't a hose spraying, because it is filling while sitting n the water with motor off.
You shouldn't have 4" in your bilge after riding. Your bilge pump is clogged - easy fix. Still doesn't fix the water source, but will keep you from damaging motor, or even worse - sinking. Let me know I you need help with the bilge pump.
Thanks much for replying. I appreciated
I did not know there was a bilge pump in there. How can I access it? Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't know about Yamaha ... but Kawasaki I used to have would take on water if sitting still in the water. What I read about it at the time ... The bilge drain line has a small air hole in it will that clog and allow the bilge line to siphon back into the ski. Water can flow from the pump BACK into the ski. The whole bilge siphon idea is based on the water from inside the hull to be SUCKED out throught the pump. The bilge line goes UP and then down to ther strainer .... forming an anti siphon .... Kind like the trap under your sink ... but in reverse ... if you can picture that. It has a small hole it the joint ... Not enough to hinder the bilge function while the ski is running ...but enough air to prevent reverse siphon ... thus flooding the inside of the ski. Part number 13...
HOPE that makes since..

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts