Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a 1977 JS440. This was given to me for free (wow), so I didn't ask many questions. I just got an owner's manual on ebay, but I have an oil question that I do not see the answer for.

There is a black oil plug at the end of the engine, no dipstick, just a plug. I'm not sure what type of oil to use here. Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the Jet-Ski engines but 2 stroke engines have the oil pre-mixed (or on newer machines injected) into the fuel. You shouldn't have to add oil to the bottom end ever.

John

·
Registered
144 Posts
The black oil plug that you refer to is not on oil plug at all. Don't put oil in there it is actually a service plug for the ignition system. All the lubrication for your motor is in the 2-stroke oil.
Congrats on the good deal!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black oil plug that you refer to is not on oil plug at all. Don't put oil in there it is actually a service plug for the ignition system. All the lubrication for your motor is in the 2-stroke oil.
Congrats on the good deal!!!
I understand that the mix provides the oil, but I just looked at it again, and this cap has oil residue on it and also an o-ring. It almost looks like it's at a crankcase. It's at the very end of the engine, right next to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Trust me on this. I first checked in my service manual before replying to your question. I own 650's so I wasn't positive, but I was pretty sure about it. Take a flashlight and look into the hole. You will see the flywheel in there.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yes, the hole is for ignition and timing adjustment purposes.

you'll be sorely dissapointed if you put oil in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So what happens if you do put oil in that plug? The guy I got my skis from said that he ran amsoil in them... and if there is no oil that should sit in the crank of an 86 550, would you really mix amsoil with the gas?

·
Registered
111 Posts
it probably depends on how much he put in there...or he may have mixed it with the gas, who knows? POs are hard to figure sometimes.

heck, i have mixed regular motor oil with my gas a couple of times when i was out of the 2-stroke stuff.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So what happens if you do put oil in that plug? The guy I got my skis from said that he ran amsoil in them... and if there is no oil that should sit in the crank of an 86 550, would you really mix amsoil with the gas?
Yes if he has eliminated the oil injection pump you would have to PRE-MIX your gasoline with a 2-STROKE oil. He was refering to using Amsoil as the pre-mix oil he always used. If you don't pre-mix you will run for about 2 minutes before you seize the motor. If the injection pump is still intact then there will be an oil reservoir tank that you have to fill.

Don't put oil in the little hole. These are not oil bath ignition systems. I'm not sure what kind of damage will happen, but it won't be good!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Amsoil makes a very good premix oil, it is the Dominator series. I'm sure thats what he meant when he told you he ran amsoil. Don't run regular automotive oil in a two stroke, not a good idea at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts