Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Im new to the forums and had a few questions. I recently bought a buddies old stand up jetski (1981 Kawasaki js550 stand up ) (I know my usernames different but didn't notice it until after I registered) back home in the Midwest n brought it down to the Florida keys. I got it up and running after replacing a few things fuel filter n such. It ran one day great for an hour or so and then started to lose power and eventually died and wont start again. Not sure where to start figured id ask someone more familiar.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
First check for spark and then compression test before anything else.

You can get a compression test kit at harbor freight cheap.

What mix were you running?

Also, try pulling both plugs, and plugging them back into the wires, and grounding them on the cylinder head. Run the starter two or three times for about 10 seconds.

Put the plugs back in, pump the primer once or twice if you have one, and give it a try. Found that any small amount of moisture in the engine (coming back from the exhaust) will keep it from starting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This may be an answer from left field but a similar thing happened to me a couple years ago. It was turned out that my gas cap was leaking and allowing a small amount of water to enter the fuel tank each time the nose of the ski went through a wave.

Eventually as the water separator (fuel filter) filled with water it started allowing more and more "wet" fuel to enter the engine which resulted in power loss and then a mid-lake stranding.

Check the little tank of your water separator and see whether its full of water or fuel. If it's water, then look for a way that water may be slowly mixing with your fuel (cracked gas cap, etc).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts