Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do apologize if this is posted in the wrong area, but I couldn't find a Projects section. Also, since the skis used are both kawasakis, I figured this would be the best place. So, here we go :)

I wanted to document this transformation, allow others to draw ideas off of this and get help when I need it (its only a matter of time)

I got an 87 JS550 on ebay for $75. It was complete minus a carb and intake manifold. It was in pretty rough shape, but had a lot of aftermarket parts that I wanted so it was a good buy. The engine is rough too, but it may run some day.

Also, last year I purchased a 2 place trailer with a 95 Polaris SL650 and a 94 Kawasaki 750 XI SS. The hull is in poor shape but I got the engine running. I bought all 3 for $500. The Polaris runs and is a usable ski.

I was looking at the 750 and was thinking to myself that it looked alot like the JS550. So, I did some more looking and a little measuring and thought the 750 engine would fit in the 550 stand up. So, I took everything out of the 750 (i am selling the internal stuff i dont need and we're going to use the hull for training on the local Sheriff's Dive Team) and everything out of the 550.

I sat the 750 engine in the 550 hull today and the engine base plates are no quite the same. I am going to have to take the plate off of the 550 engine and see if it will fit on the 750 engine. Also, I think the 750 engine may sit back too far which means I will have to modify the base plate or make a short extender to join the engine and drive shaft. The first is the better choice, but I can do the second if i have to. I also noticed that the engine mounts are torn up and the mounts from the 750 wont fit the stand up so I'll probably have to get new ones.

I think that's all for now. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not too bad. I am mounting the 750 engine on the 550 base plate today. The measurements are a little different so I am making some adapter plates. I'll be posting some pictures and I'll link them here. This might be a little more work than I thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts