Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 1987 Kawasaki JS300 locally for $100. The hull is sitting in my yard and the engine is in my garage. I plan on doing a full ground up rebuild. I am going to try to keep a photo log and update this as I make progress. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for this rebuild or have any experience doing one? Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Took a scrub brush and some water mixed with a little degreaser/general cleaner to her today for about 2.5 hours. Doesn't even look like the same machine anymore. Still need to compound out some spots but the gel coat held up amazingly, no cracks only a few scratches from the previous owner.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time or money on a 300. I think once you get it on the water, the performance your going to get out of a 300 is not going to be what you. Since you already have though, as long as the crank spins, I would just put in a new battery and piston kit, and then sell it. You might be able to get 500 for a running 300. Just my 2 cents, but if you really want to keep it and rebuild it, we'll help walk you through it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to rebuild the 300cc engine and get everything on the ski 100% and then hunt for a 550cc to build up to swap into it. It will be a nice variation of learning from my 16' Baja

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stripped the exhaust manifold and muffler assembly off the engine today, had to cut the tops off two bolts that got stuck in the elbow while taking it off the manifold. Soaked them all in degreaser and cleaned out the water jackets as best I could. Other than that everything went smooth with a little help from PB Breaker. The head is another story though, got all the nuts off but its still not budging. I've been giving it a shot all around of PB Breaker every few hours or so to hopefully loosen it up. From what I can see through the exhaust port though, the piston and rings look great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the cylinder off the crankcase today and removed the carburetor from the crankcase. The cylinder head is still stuck on the body though and I can't manage to pry it off and don't want to damage the head, anyone have any ideas? I've basically soaked this thing in PB Blaster and it still won't budge. The cylinder had some dirt and other grime on top so I gently scraped off as much as I could making sure not to nick the surface. It looks much better now. Cleaned the rings, they looked great too. The reeds inside the reed cage looked phenomenal too, not bent at all. They were nice and tight to the cage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
that's a good looking hull you got to start with. I'm surprised how well it cleaned up.

I like that old Jeep Wagoneer in the background too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Your ski looks great! I've always thought one of those one lungers would be a fun project. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a 1987 JS300-2B. Water is leaking into the engine compartment around the bearing block that the propeller shaft runs through. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this? I've been searching parts schematics and I don't see any type of seal that keeps the water from following the shaft into the engine compartment.

Also, if this is the wrong place to post....someone please help :) I'm a noob here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts