Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a ski that has been sitting for many years, I think since around 1993.

I have spark, have fuel (dumped down the carb and then into the cylinder).

Nothing.

I have 105 lbs of compression on each cylinder, is this way low, or what?

Trying to get this thing running on a budget, I realize a top end should be in the future. Just concerned that I have such decent spark, but not even a stumble out of it????

Besides low compression, could this be timing related? The impeller was jammed up when I first started messing with it, I turned it over with channel locks and then tried to start it, it was locking up on account of the impeller.

Possible that I jacked up the timing jarring it with the impeller jammed?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
check the key on the flywheel,mine sheared off and caused a no start concern...105 is on the low side but it should kick,you may have just washed the cylinders with too much fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your flyweel key, did it cause a no SPARK situation, or just no start? Because I have plenty of spark, enough to kill a horse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you will still have spark because the flywheel still turns,it will be at the wrong time due to the relation of the flywheel to the crankshaft...mine would sometimes backfire out the carb while trying to start...add a little oil to those cylinders to see if the compression comes up a little...but with the jet being stuck it may have just tossed that pin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...but with the jet being stuck it may have just tossed that pin.
This is what I am hoping.

I have a whole other motor, with even less compression. I was hoping to be able to do a complete tear down on that one, run the one that is in the ski for a while as is (providing I can make it RUN).

My buddy is dropping off a puller later today, I will report back with my findings.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No go.

key was intact, timing mark was on the money.

Looks like I need to look into rings at the very least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, strike my last post.......................IT RUNS!

Not sure what my major malfunction was before, it has a primer that I hadn't gotten primed up (for lack of a better explanation) until this afternoon. I spoke to someone who works on these older skis, he said 105 shouldn't be an issue, as they are around 120 completely fresh.

I have another ski, I am hoping to be able to do a complete rebuild on that one, if time and funds allow.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the best source for a top end/ whole gasket set for these. Should I be looking to go oversided, or stay stock. I am trying to go cheap on the machine work if possible. I recently had a bad experience at our local shop, $1,800 in machine work on two big blocks, only to find out after complete assembly I have one with a cracked block (whole other story).

Anyway, if the bore looks good I was going to just hit it with a hone, call it good. Should I be looking for a 1mm over, or stock, or what?

I see kits with both pistons, all the gaskets for around $199.00, sound right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts