Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an 88 Kawasaki 550 for sale and I went over to the guys house and it started right up and seem to run fine. I don't know jack about jet skis. I'm a die hard motocross racer just thinking about getting into the water and looking for a good deal. He want's $200 for it.

Is there anything that I should look for?

Any known problems with this year?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engines are bullet proof...make sure it looks like it has been taken care of somewhat..Make sure the prop spins.
These are almost maintnence free and a very reliable and fun toy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought an 89 650SX in about 1993. The only problem it had was that the splines on the driveshaft where it inserts into the impellor had been badly worn (can't imagine how) which cause a really bad rattling sound to come from the pump area. I made the dealer replace the driveshaft and the thing has been strong ever since.

They are a marvel of mechanical engineering.

One other thing to check (if you can) is how closely the impeller blades pass to the body of the pump. This should be so tight that you can't get a piece of paper between them. If it's been run thru a lot of sand, etc this gap could be larger. You'll should only have to replace the impeller, but even a gap of 1/64th inch will lose over 50% of your power!!!

Boobear

·
Registered
13 Posts
88 550s are rock solid.

The only "bolt on" things you could to to improve them was the waterbox, a ride plate, and maybe a 15 degree prop. The factory exhaust was the best match for that model.

$200... and it runs??? GRAB IT!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts