Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was out jetskiing the other day on very calm water. I decided to turn my jetski off and go for a quick swim. When I tried to start my Jetski to keep riding it would not start! I opened the "hood" and the electrical box somehow ripped through the fiberglass and fell a few inches.

I have re-secured the electrical box with a metal plate, and I have tried brand new spark plugs; but it still will not start! It just chugs as I hold the ignition button, and the prop turns. Its as if it only gets spark when I hold the ignition button, and loses it as soon as I let go. Would this be a bad cdi? I opened the electrical box and it is bone dry. There is a yellow wire thats not connected to anything, but after reading around this seems normal.

Any help would be much appreciated! If it does sound like I need a part, does anywhere know where I can fidn old Jetski parts?

Thanks,
Dale W

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last night me and my Dad checked for a spark and there was nothing.

Tonight I am going to test the kill switch I think. The last thing I did was turn it off and pull out the vkey before I went for a swim. I am wondering if its not completing a circuit somehow? Does this make sense that it could be the problem?

·
Registered
323 Posts
swap these two plugs. (black & white wire plug with the red & brown wire plug). Plug them into eack other and check spark then. If nothing it will be the charge coil. On the stator it is the smallest out of the three. If it has spark when you swap the plugs, return the plugs to origional position and solder the wires together eliminating the plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, The plugs would not fit unfortunatly. I had the bright idea of using a small wire to connect them, but I must have hooked the wrong wires together because I blew the fuse in the electrical box. Hope I didnt hurt anything =/. I am going to get another fuse and try something else. What colour wires did you say I should solder together? I think your right with what my problem is though waverunner. Either the kill switch or the charge coil.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Those plugs should fit. Someone must have put a non OEM plug on it. Just solder the wires back to them selves. It just takes the plugs out of the equation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hmm.. I think I might have tracked down the problem. I first ripped apart the Kill switch to figure out how it worked and I believe that it is functioning fine.

So I decided to try and figure out where the problem lied using my voltage metre. I followed the spark plugs back, and they went to the cdi unit. They are actually one unit, I cant remove the wires.

So there is a circuit between 1b and 2b.

There is voltage comming from 1a and 2a.

But there is no circuit between the spark plugs. Nor is there any voltage?

Wouldnt this mean my CDI unit is not functioning?

·
Registered
323 Posts
So your checking this cranking?? If it isn't those plugs, then check the ohms of the coils in the front stator by the wire loom coming out. Specs should be somewhere on the net. Google it. I would say it would be the lighing or charge coil. Rarely do I see CDI's fail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts