Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently got a 1988 Yamaha WaveRunner (500cc). After getting it home, I checked the intake for debris and cleaned it up. Next, I replaced the gas with the appropriate mixture, replaced the spark plugs with its appropriate replacement. I went to the lake and it started after a second of cranking. I let it run for a minute or two to warm it up. After a bit I let it loose.

This is where the problem(s) begin. First, it did not reach a fast speed. 15 mph tops.
I looked online for specs and it shows that the average speed should be 34mph.

(Background) I checked the compression and it was about 130-135 each cylinder. Exhaust does not leak water (after running for 45min there very minimal water in the haul). It starts almost perfectly and idles great. It seems everything works perfect except for the fact I only have half the power. I check the carb and the choke and throttle work (open & close) just fine. Fuel also seems to be getting to the motor fine as well. The impeller is free and spins fine, some ware from use (its 22 years old) but look really good.

Do you know of any possibilities seem to exist that could cause this problem? From my observations there should be no problem.

In addition, there is no difference when I squeeze the throttle half or full closed; the engine reaches “full throttle” when the handle is squeezed half-way.

I cannot think of anything else. Is there something else I should look for? I am new to WaveRunners and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 89 waverunner I took out the jet unit and inspected it. The prop ended up being really bad

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey mine does the same thing and my impeller is a lil bad my machine only does 20mph did you ever figure out what the problem was and will an aftermarket be a good option for me?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts