Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1989 kawasaki 650sx help

11K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Standupguy3 
#1 ·
I have a 1989 kawasaki 650sx stand up that it currently not working. It should be up and going in a few days after i take the carb off and rebuild it and mess with the starter. But my main question is what to do to give me some extra power, it was three years ago since we put anything new in it and we put a new impeller and a new top end in it. So i guess the next thing to do would be to put a new exhaust on it. What would be the best one for it and where could i get one? And what would be the next best thing to get some extra power. And i was also looking to put a new set of handlebar on it, can anyone suggest a good set and where to get them?

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
I am running a complete PJS exhaust with the westcoast waterbox. The exhaust was a great bottom end to mid range performance increase. The waterbox is just noisy. But the Jet sport manifold and couple that with a westcoast exhaust.

Junk the 28mm carb that came stock on the 89. Keihin CDK2 38mm work great on these.

#5 · (Edited)
That's the pipe I'm running.

Ask if it comes with the manifold as well.
That's an awesome pipe and even at the buy it now price it's well worth it.
That guy is also selling the head off that motor for $60.00, another great upgrade.

E-bay search "kawasaki jet ski 650" The company selling the jetsport manifold is called Parks-Performance. $133.90 Cdn. with free shipping, and it includes all gaskets for the install. This is by far the best exhaust manifold I have seen yet.

Yes the carb was another great increase. The throttle response is incredible in comparison to the 28mm. My wife's machine feels like a truck, compared to my porsche.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks for all the help. Got the new starter on it today and took it out to the lake and it ran great. But my dad did say that he's not going to get me anymore stuff to put on it, he got me that starter and thats the last of the stuff hes going to pay for. So he said that i could buy that stuff or save up for a new ski.

#7 ·
Got the new starter on it today and took it out to the lake and it ran great.

Man, where are you located? My ski's have already been winterized for a month. I wish we had a longer riding season. It was 6c. here yesterday which is equal to 43f. Too cold for riding here!

#8 ·
Haha, im in Georgia. Rode it again today and the water felt pretty good actually, it was in the upper 70's today. It's getting pretty cold here, but you can pretty much ride throughout the winter if you really wanted to. I'll probably ride for another month or so and then wait until spring.

Speaking of winterizing, whats the procedure for winterizing one of these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.