Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1989 waverunner a year or two ago and up until now it's been working fine. After a week of heavy use, I went to start it up and I could hear the engine cranking, but then it stopped. I immediately brought it back to shore and opened up the engine compartment.

When I press the ignition switch, I hear a distinct click, but the engine does not crank at all. I can't tell exactly where the click is coming from.

My first thought was a low battery, but I went home and charged it and it still had the same problem. When I removed the battery, the clicking stopped.

Now it's turned into a winter project, I was wondering if it could be a bad starter solenoid, a bad fuse, or a bad starter motor. Any help from you guys would be great

·
Registered
23 Posts
Man it sounds like your starter has died..

You can remove it and have it load tested to make sure its toast..

The "click" you hear is the starter solinoid doing its job..

But to verify it is..hold a volt ohm meter to the side (of the solinoid) that goes down to the starter and the Neg post of the battery..

Press start and check for voltage (amps are what you really wanna know..but if it gets voltage here then its probably a safe bet the amps are there too)..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts