Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Waverunner 650. It started and ran good up until this afternoon. In fact it idled back to the trailer but would not start when I got home. I did run it out of gas and had to go to reserve while on the last ride. When I got it home it would not start. I filled it up with gas and switched it back to the main fuel setting. It still would not start. I have checked spark by inserting a screwdriver into the plug wire and cranking the engine while holding it close to the block and I have spark. Is there some sort of prime that I need to do? There does not seem to be any fuel coming out of the fuel filter. Does the fuel draw to the carb or does it work on gravity feed. Help!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar issue today on my old WR500 89. Mine came to life eventually. First check your fuel filters in your tank- they may have got gummed up when you ran it out of gas. of course, check the inline one too. I am not an expert on these things at all, but what I have learned is most issues start with the fuel filters!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aside from the obvious filter and fuel line issue, many of us bypass the fuel switch and run from the reserve tank right to the carbs (through the filter, of course).

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you haven't cleaned your tank in awhile, the reserve setting sucks right from the bottom of the tank and more likely to pull unwanted sedimnet into your carb. I found the fuel-water seperator isn't a good filter for sediment and will pass right into the carb. If that happens, there is a tiny fuel filter in the carb (on the fuel pump side) that will clog and stave the engine of fuel. You'll have to take the carb off motor to clean it out (I just spray the filter out with carb cleaner). Also, while you're at it, you might as well get a rebuild kit for the carb (or atleast replace the diaphrams). This will improve drawing the fuel supply into the carb from the tank. I did this on mine last year and went from multiple cranks to get my ski to start to a short-one-crank start. Once I was up and running, I also put a inline filter just after the fuel selector valve so next time I just have to clean/replace that filter, instead of tearing my carb apart again. Like I said, the fuel water seperators still allow sedimet to pass through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts