Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kawasaki jet ski that I got last season. I only had it out once last summer. It was very difficult to get started. When I was looking at buying it, the guy started it right up, but now I suspect he had already got it warmed up just before I looked at it. As once it's warm, it starts pretty easy.

I'm mechanicly inclined, but haven't really ever worked on 2 stroke motors before. I thinking the first thing I need to do, is pull of the carborator and clean it real good. Then see what happens.

It seems to have a strong spark..one thing I noticed is that after you crank it for a while and pull the plug out, it isn't wet with fuel.

I did try a little starter fluid and it fires right up....but had to keep giving it bursts to keep it running until it warmed up a bit and then it would run on its own. I know this isn't too good for the engine as it's not getting lube.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the probelm might be?

Another question, is there an easy way to hook like a garden hose somewhere to cool the motor while I'm tuning it? Do you have to buy a special fitting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I pulled the carb off and took it all apart. I really wasn't gummed up or dirty at all. I soaked it real good though in hot soapy water and some degreaser. I put it all together and tried to start. Same thing as before...if wouldn't fire what so ever. I had noted where the high & low speed jets were set at before removeal...high speed was a little less than 1 turn and the low speed was one turn.

For the heck of it, I turned the low speed out almost all the way, and it fired right up!
I ended up re setting at 1.5 turns. It starts up every time now right away...I'm going to try again tomorrow after it's sat for 24 hours with no start.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Starting fluid washes away the oil in a 2 stroke but won't hurt momentarily. I would rebuild the carb and fuel pump. Change the fuel filter and check you lines also. Usually low speed jets are adjusted past 1 turn and high is under 1 turn. Past 3 turns and they don't matter but you are compensating for other internal issues this way.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hard to start

You need to install a primer kit. Thos are typical to do that. Or go get a baby medicine surenge and shoot gas in the spark plug hole. Once you get it running you won't have problems till it sits for the next time you go ride. Like a day oer a week. The reason for that is the fuel seeps away from the carb...Air in the lines thats all.:appl:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts