Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering idlf anyone has any ideas on what to do first as my ski which hasn't been used for 3 years had a flat battery and when the new battery was being put in I believe the terminals were accidentally crossed...could this cause a blown fuse or something? There is no noise/click nothing when pressing the start button...?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take the starter out and check it works, it may be frozen from lack of use, just spray it with a good quality electrical spray and once it moves freely, try again, also try turning the engine by the connector to the jet pump, with the spark plugs out it should turn freely with some resistance, if it won't turn then your motor may be frozen and need a spray down the spark pug holes.
Engines when not used for a long time can get a little surface rust and hold things in place, two strokes only have the oil in the fuel to lubricate everything, the fuel it's mixed with can cause the oil to wash down the cylinders and pool in the bottom of the crank over time and the sleeves can then slowly rust, even the crank can get rusty over time as the two stroke oil doesn't stay on everything like engine oil does.
Even a four stroke over three years may have rusty cylinders, many seals may be hard from lack of lubrication and become brittle.
Engines used daily last the longest and is why Taxi drivers get so many miles from a car, Jet Skis need to be started at least weekly and run on the hose for five minutes or so, unless you winterise them properly and then they can sit for quite a while, the battery is the only thing you should connect to a battery maintainer, you can get solar battery maintainers, they even work in Winter, as long as you get some Sun during the day :) as they only need a little Sun to keep the battery charged.
If you have a battery charger with a maintenance mode then you can use that to keep the battery fresh, also keep the battery in a warm area, as they don't like the cold, it's why most batteries die in Winter :).
It's unlikely you blew anything or burnt out anything, how did you know you connected the battery incorrectly ? Did it spark ?
The 550 is a very old Ski, they don't have the tech like the newer Skis do and so are not as easy to cause damage by an incorrectly connected battery,
My experienced guess is rust as I had similar with one of my 550's back in the day from a lack of use over a year, all I did was take the starter out and clean it then took the spark plugs out and poured a little two stroke fuel into them and turned over the engine by hand, it was a little tight at first but once the fuel lubricated the sleeves and rings it was fine.
Put the starter back in and it started first kick.
After three years the carbies may need a clean as well ?
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the starter out and check it works, it may be frozen from lack of use, just spray it with a good quality electrical spray and once it moves freely, try again, also try turning the engine by the connector to the jet pump, with the spark plugs out it should turn freely with some resistance, if it won't turn then your motor may be frozen and need a spray down the spark pug holes.
Engines when not used for a long time can get a little surface rust and hold things in place, two strokes only have the oil in the fuel to lubricate everything, the fuel it's mixed with can cause the oil to wash down the cylinders and pool in the bottom of the crank over time and the sleeves can then slowly rust, even the crank can get rusty over time as the two stroke oil doesn't stay on everything like engine oil does.
Even a four stroke over three years may have rusty cylinders, many seals may be hard from lack of lubrication and become brittle.
Engines used daily last the longest and is why Taxi drivers get so many miles from a car, Jet Skis need to be started at least weekly and run on the hose for five minutes or so, unless you winterise them properly and then they can sit for quite a while, the battery is the only thing you should connect to a battery maintainer, you can get solar battery maintainers, they even work in Winter, as long as you get some Sun during the day :) as they only need a little Sun to keep the battery charged.
If you have a battery charger with a maintenance mode then you can use that to keep the battery fresh, also keep the battery in a warm area, as they don't like the cold, it's why most batteries die in Winter :).
It's unlikely you blew anything or burnt out anything, how did you know you connected the battery incorrectly ? Did it spark ?
The 550 is a very old Ski, they don't have the tech like the newer Skis do and so are not as easy to cause damage by an incorrectly connected battery,
My experienced guess is rust as I had similar with one of my 550's back in the day from a lack of use over a year, all I did was take the starter out and clean it then took the spark plugs out and poured a little two stroke fuel into them and turned over the engine by hand, it was a little tight at first but once the fuel lubricated the sleeves and rings it was fine.
Put the starter back in and it started first kick.
After three years the carbies may need a clean as well ?
Good luck
Thanks, that's excellent advice. I used to start it monthly especially after I found that it had "siezed" in the manner you described once. But this time so far I have found a dead battery and a blown fuse after I opened the box that houses those electrical components, so I'm hoping once I get all that back together properly it will work, fingers crossed - will keep you posted, thanks again! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's excellent advice. I used to start it monthly especially after I found that it had "siezed" in the manner you described once. But this time so far I have found a dead battery and a blown fuse after I opened the box that houses those electrical components, so I'm hoping once I get all that back together properly it will work, fingers crossed - will keep you posted, thanks again! :)
Problem solved with a new battery and new fuse inside the box containing the electrical components - luckily an easy fix ☺

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you reverse the battery connections ... it will ... for some reason ... blow the fuse... Don't know why ... Have done the same on one of my skis .... IIRC ...
My two cents worth ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you reverse the battery connections ... it will ... for some reason ... blow the fuse... Don't know why ... Have done the same on one of my skis .... IIRC ...
My two cents worth ..
Yep, somehow, that's what must have happened. In any case it's back to being the ultra reliable ski it always has been - happy days! It also gave me the reason to check a few other maintenance items as well, which was good for peace of mind, cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts