Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am new to the jet ski world and recently purchased a 1992 Kawasaki 750 ss in good condition. My problem is that I can't get it to idle. I cleaned the gas tank and added an in-line fuel filter (and got rid of the in tank ones). Cleaned and rebuilt the carb. My dad used to race 2-stroke motorcycles and has a good bit of knowledge. He originally thought it was the crab but when that didn't work he had the idea of a leaky carb gasket but after using gasket sealant (some red stuff used for diesel engines) we had no change. I bought a compression tester and it read 153 on cylinder 1 and 152 on cylinder 2. It will start with choke (although it would take a little of cranking and messing with the throttle) and run under throttle. When I let off it idles for a couple seconds and dies (But it will idle for a bit at half choke). We also trying tuning it by just turning the low speed and messed with the idle screw but couldn't get it working. I also bought new boyesen reeds as we had carb blowback where fuel was shooting back up into the intake. I removed the reeds and there was no visible damage except on the left reed cage where one of the pedals I could see through the gap and see my fingernail (although it was very small) and I believe they some of the others didn't seal right. But I haven't had a chance to test it. Could this be my major underlying problem? Otherwise I am kinda out of ideas and i'm back to the drawing board. I was hoping to get it out on the water this summer but I am in college and don't have time but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 97 Kawasaki 750 and had the same trouble you're having, my ski wouldn't idle and it was very hard to start, had to choke it alot to get it to start. My compression was 142, rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, didn't help. My ski ended up to be reeds, I had broken and cracked reeds. I put in Boyesen reeds, put the carb back to factory settings and my ski runs great. So it could be the reeds. If the reeds don't change anything, I did alot of research and talking to mechanics trying to figure out the trouble I was having. Have you done a leakdown test? You could have a crank seal problem, or it could also be a stator problem, have you done a spark test to see if the spark plugs have good spark? You might get the original Kawasaki Service Manual if you plan to keep the ski. What state do you live?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wondering if you bought it as it was with the starting problem or did it start and idle when you bought it ?

Some times people sell items they can't get fixed or the cost is more than the Ski is worth as it is over 30 years old now with a very out dated fuel system, two strokes are the simplest motor, all they need is fuel and air, the engine design as long as you haven't played about with the magneto and timing, you can almost pour fuel in slowly and get them to run. Just get a bottle of fuel with a small hole and a fish tank hose and air valve connected and get the fuel to dribble into the Carby air intake very slowly and see if it idles, you can adjust the flow of fuel as slow or fast as you like, this removes the fuel system from the equation and if it still won't idle, it may take you a little playing with the valve to get the right flow, a simple trick that lets you know which end needs attention, if it idles with the fuel system disconnected then it's the fuel supply system that's the problem and you need to check hoses, filters and fuel pump, if however it won't run or idle, you know it's the Carby or reeds or both :) or air leak, bad gaskets ?
Or you could just take it to your local two stroke mechanic and ask him to take a look, most times they will not charge you to listen to it try and start and could know what the problem is ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 97 Kawasaki 750 and had the same trouble you're having, my ski wouldn't idle and it was very hard to start, had to choke it alot to get it to start. My compression was 142, rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, didn't help. My ski ended up to be reeds, I had broken and cracked reeds. I put in Boyesen reeds, put the carb back to factory settings and my ski runs great. So it could be the reeds. If the reeds don't change anything, I did alot of research and talking to mechanics trying to figure out the trouble I was having. Have you done a leakdown test? You could have a crank seal problem, or it could also be a stator problem, have you done a spark test to see if the spark plugs have good spark? You might get the original Kawasaki Service Manual if you plan to keep the ski. What state do you live?
I have not done a leakdown test but I have checked for spark in both cylinders and they are good. We will have to see once I come back from college to install the reeds. But where could I find that? Also I live in Central Jersey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering if you bought it as it was with the starting problem or did it start and idle when you bought it ?

Some times people sell items they can't get fixed or the cost is more than the Ski is worth as it is over 30 years old now with a very out dated fuel system, two strokes are the simplest motor, all they need is fuel and air, the engine design as long as you haven't played about with the magneto and timing, you can almost pour fuel in slowly and get them to run. Just get a bottle of fuel with a small hole and a fish tank hose and air valve connected and get the fuel to dribble into the Carby air intake very slowly and see if it idles, you can adjust the flow of fuel as slow or fast as you like, this removes the fuel system from the equation and if it still won't idle, it may take you a little playing with the valve to get the right flow, a simple trick that lets you know which end needs attention, if it idles with the fuel system disconnected then it's the fuel supply system that's the problem and you need to check hoses, filters and fuel pump, if however it won't run or idle, you know it's the Carby or reeds or both :) or air leak, bad gaskets ?
Or you could just take it to your local two stroke mechanic and ask him to take a look, most times they will not charge you to listen to it try and start and could know what the problem is ?
I bought it almost as a project ski but it did not but I got it for a good price. But I have done something similar to your drip method but with some premixed gas and a sprayer but I had the same result of it dying out and when I instated the inline fuel filter I could see the fuel flowing so i'm fairly certain its not anything to do with fuel delivery. But I still have to install the new reeds and see if it fixes the problem but if that fails i'm off to a mechanic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your local Kawasaki Dealer should have them or Ebay, I found quite a few with just a quick search. Mostly all in America, and so you won't need to pay the huge postage cost that we in Australia do :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your local Kawasaki Dealer should have them or Ebay, I found quite a few with just a quick search. Mostly all in America, and so you won't need to pay the huge postage cost that we in Australia do :)
Thank you man!

·
Registered
8 Posts
You could try a powersports or cycle shop, I bought mine through a cycle shop. But it looks like Ebay has the Supplement Repair Manual for $7.20, type in Ebay item number 373742284430 in the search bar. I have both the Repair Manual and the Supplement, they are 2 separate manuals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just found the Service Manual and the Service Manual Supplement on Ebay listing 294444483148, $21.95 + $8.75 ship but it's both manuals, Seller is Big manual warehouse. Also if you ever need to get a rebuilt engine, I got one ten years ago through PWC Engine out of New York and it's still doing great. www.pwcengine.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts