Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a first timer I am very excited to have found this Forum been reading it for few days Now, a lot of Great information from all of you. I have worked on my own Yamaha outboard motors, I am Not a Mechanic I have suddenly been given Two Yamaha PWCs 1992 VXR 650 Pink and 2001 GP 800 R This past Christmas They both started and I shut them off after 30 seconds because depending who you ask they should not be run without being in the water or a Flush kit and garden hose I would like to start them I got new Batteries drained the gas put in fresh gas with the Marine gas stabilizer My question is can I start the 1992 VXR out of the water and how long before I do damage
I want to make sure it will start before I drop it in the lake since I did not get a chance to ever ride them not sure what Shape they are really in since it was snowing when they dropped them at my my house 2001 has a factory installed Flush kit already Any help would be Much Appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I am a first timer I am very excited to have found this Forum been reading it for few days Now, a lot of Great information from all of you. I have worked on my own Yamaha outboard motors, I am Not a Mechanic I have suddenly been given Two Yamaha PWCs 1992 VXR 650 Pink and 2001 GP 800 R This past Christmas They both started and I shut them off after 30 seconds because depending who you ask they should not be run without being in the water or a Flush kit and garden hose I would like to start them I got new Batteries drained the gas put in fresh gas with the Marine gas stabilizer My question is can I start the 1992 VXR out of the water and how long before I do damage
I want to make sure it will start before I drop it in the lake since I did not get a chance to ever ride them not sure what Shape they are really in since it was snowing when they dropped them at my my house 2001 has a factory installed Flush kit already Any help would be Much Appreciated
It is bad for the motors to run them without water for more than 15-30 seconds.

First thing you should do is compression test the motors. If the compression is under 100psi per cylinder, chances are it won't start in the water (even if it starts up on the hose it needs enough compression to start while in the water)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1992 Yamaha VXR Start up

Thanks for the Compression information I did recently buy a nice compression tester on E-bay Did not try it yet with all the other little things wrong or Broken But Compression test should have been my First thing to test The 1992
motor looks like brand new sure appears Not to be the original Motor The 2001 looks great it is the original motor Question is what would be a good or acceptable compression for theses two Machines and What would be the compression Number be, if the motor was recently Rebuilt I heard somewhere
that 150 psi would be real good not sure they really knew what good compression number is. Thanks again I plan on doing the compression test
this weekend and if Ok try to start them since I live on the lake I was going to just back them into the water on the trailer and try to start them with new Battery fresh Gas and little Either What do you think? :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts