Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1993 Kawasaki SS xi that I have to prime to start, then I can run the jet ski for about a mile or two, then I just lose fuel pressure in the fuel system. Jet ski will idle but will stall if I give it any throttle. When I installed the primer system I had to remove the carbs, but I used the old carb to manifold gaskets (but were just replaced earler this season), could this be my problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check the fuel pump pulse line that runs from the crankcase to the carb with the pump. I think it's the rear one on the Xi. The line rubs and could develop a air leak. That's the easiest thing to check promptly.

The carbs could need a cleaning and possibly a rebuild with new gaskets and diaphragms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SS XI Troubles

It is winter here in Michigan, so the jet ski is put in storage for the season, but we did have the carbs cleaned and new diaphrams and gaskets installed, but the problem still exists. We have replace all of the fuel lines, and cleaned the unit in top of the gas tank. It is like something happens after the engine gets so hot that something is restricting flow of fuel. Is it water flow that is causing my problem, and if so do I check to make sure that the engine is getting the proper cooling? Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Disconnect the fuel lines and blow thru them to make sure there is no restriction in the fuel selector valve. Did you try running it on reserve?

I know you changed the fuel lines but what about the fuel pump line? They have a tendency to rub and develop a small hole on the underside. That would reduce fuel flow because the fuel pump is not at maximum output.

You would see reduced water flow by observing the water discharge (pisser). There could be a loose hose on the pump (doubtful).

Not all shops are capable of setting the carbs up correct. The pop-off pressure should be verified. It's a simple test but the carbs have to come off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trouble

We did try running it on reserve, and we get the same results. I was under the impression that the fuel pumps are in the carbs? I thought that was the purpose of the diaphragm in each carb, to pump fuel from the tank to the carb? It has new diaphragms in each carb. This jet ski has set in a garage for 6 years.

I take it that the selector valve is the valve that selects normal or reserve? We have not taken the selector valve off to inspect.

If I pull the carbs off could you do the pop-off pressure test for me? It is a really nice jet ski and I would like to keep it.

We have an identical jet ski, and it has run perfectly for the last serval years. We do get separate flow between the two jet ski out of the pisser. On our problem jet ski there seems to be flow out of the pisser, but when the jet ski starts to slow down we see steam coming out of the pisser. We have put air pressure thru all of the hoses and could not find any restructions. I took the "U" exhaust manifold and did not see any restrictions. There is no water or gas that collects in the bottom of the ski.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You don"t have to remove the fuel selector to check it. Disconnect all the lines and blow thru them to make sure you get good flow. One carb has a diaphragm operated fuel pump and feeds the other carb via a short fuel line. If there is a leak in the pulse pressure hose that operates the pump you will get reduced fuel supply. This hoses has a spot that rubs. Remove it and pressure test it.

Pop off testing is easy. You Tube it. I made a tester with an old gauge and a bicycle pump. Mikuni sells a fancy one.

Pop Off Gauge

Steam out of the pisser is normal at low speed and starting up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP:92 KAWASAKI 750 CARB: Will not run unless the choke is on: Paid for CARB rebuild

I'd appreciate the group's help:

Our PWC NEW Problem:

1992 KAWASAKI 750, 1 CARB:
After the rebuild the PWC Will not run unless the choke is on: Paid for CARB rebuild.

I am asking question sbut the dealer is difficult. Any ideas that I can sugest they check.
BEFORE the rebuild it was not getting any fuel?

Could that have:
Put filter in backwards, plugged an orifice, put the wrong gasket on, bent a needle, or plugged a jet ?

I put it back on the boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts