Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been watching/reading as many fiberglass repair videos as I can find. I have small cracks/gouges both above and below the waterline. I don't believe any of them are structural. Gouges below the waterline are a bit deeper, maybe 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch. A few strands of fiberglass showing on one of them.

I have the following questions:

1. Is the hull on a 1993 750 SX SMC?
2. Does this ski have Gelcoat? Below the waterline? Above the waterline? Since material selection is so critical to a successful repair this information seems very important?
3. Would I use the same techniques for the repairs above/below the waterline?
4. The ski is currently all white, with the repairs above the waterline is a top coat of white paint necessary?

There are SO many repair materials available, if someone could drop a few links to products they"ve used and know work it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been watching/reading as many fiberglass repair videos as I can find. I have small cracks/gouges both above and below the waterline. I don't believe any of them are structural. Gouges below the waterline are a bit deeper, maybe 1/16 - 1/8 of an inch. A few strands of fiberglass showing on one of them.

I have the following questions:

1. Is the hull on a 1993 750 SX SMC?
2. Does this ski have Gelcoat? Below the waterline? Above the waterline? Since material selection is so critical to a successful repair this information seems very important?
3. Would I use the same techniques for the repairs above/below the waterline?
4. The ski is currently all white, with the repairs above the waterline is a top coat of white paint necessary?

There are SO many repair materials available, if someone could drop a few links to products they"ve used and know work it would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

I'm not familiar with this specific hull, and actually came in because I was gonna post a hull question thread but thought I might be able to get there without highjacking your thread too much.

I'm a SeaDoo guy, and I can tell you everything you need to know about their hulls and repairs, whether you want original or improved materials. There's some amazing epoxy options now they didn't have readily available even a decade ago. I'm not gonna offer any more advice on that unsolicited because I don't want to be wrong and get flamed by a bunch of keyboard commandos for trying to be helpful. As far as gel coats though, my OPINION, redo it all or at least where repairs are made. It's a lot harder coat than a lot of other materials, it holds colors better, and what's important to me is that you can get it so glass smooth! I actually use board wax on my hulls. Does it really do anything in fresh brown water? Fuck if I know. Do I feel legit unlike all these weekends warrior 4stroke 1,200lbs 8 seater ski guys? Fuck yes! No, but seriously, gel coats are a really good tough, smooth option and I ALWAYS use that for repairs, which is incidentally the instructions right from SeaDoo in their service manuals.

I said I wasn't gonna offer repair material advice because it's from SeaDoo, but ......
They recommend liquid fiberglass over fiberglass matting in layers to fill and raise/shape the area for final sanding. Use the finest grit you can to finish. Don't start out with 800 and sand it down to shape, use coarser ones to get it closer and closer into your almost polishing the last couple times. Then get it painted if you want. By paint I meant gel coat, but do whatever floats your boat so to speak. Rattle can paint won't hold up nearly as well. Having it painted like a car also isn't as tough as gel coat. But it may be adequate for your needs. My OPINION is that your hull, unlike a SeaDoo, spends a lot of time with the top half underwater as well as the lower. So I'd want the same quality finish top to bottom because of that. So it glides through. A big gay GTX is never gonna nose dive like that, so it's less important. Even an XP or GSX, as soon as you nose in the trunk floods with at least a gallon of 2 every time. I had to pull my trunk out and built a plate that sits in place under the hood seal. It's not perfect but it sure helps. But again, they don't need to cut the water up top the same way.

I thought you were gonna ask if this was a good hull or something similar so I could highjack it with a similar question lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@RocketFox650,

I appreciate the guidance and given the depth of most of my "imperfections" I think get coat is the way to go. Do you have a particular product you like? And spreads well, cures well? If you have a link to the liquid get coat you use that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if the hull is SMC does that require a particular type of gel coat?

And you are correct, above the water line spends as much time in the water as below he water line they way I ride 😂

1 - 3 of 3 Posts