Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1994 waverunner III engine cuts out.

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Long Time PWC rider 
#1 ·
I just purchased two used (obviously) 1994 waverunner III pwc’s. I rebuilt both carbs and replaced the starter and starter solenoid in one of them.

The black one ran perfect. (That was the one that required the most work to get it running). The blue one ran great for the first 20 minutes. The. It started loosing its ability to accelerate. I had to nurse the throttle to get it up to a decent speed and then it would cut out. Finally it refused to speed up past 10 mph. After sitting about 20 minutes, it would run again for a few minutes before repeating the cycle.
I got home and swapped out the following with the known working jet ski to no avail: fuel filter, spark plugs, ignition coils, carburetor.
No change. Still stalls out when throttle is applied.
Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

#5 ·
Polar bear,
I've run across this issue with my Wavejammer and an older Waverunner. Yamaha's have 2 fuel filters. There is the usual external one, but another inside the carburetor itself. Yamaha Service Manuals show it in the exploded views only. It is a very small fine meshed filter. Both my boats exhibited the same symptoms. Enough fuel will trickle through the filter to have the boats run for a short while, then stop. Clean the filter, with contact cleaner, and the boat will run like new.
I know you said the carbs were rebuilt, but since little is said about this second internal fuel filter, they are often overlooked.
Let me know if this works!
Old Guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.