Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this, Im looking at a 95 waveraider 700 for $650 with the trailer. The guy told me right away that it needs a coil assembly ($140). He says it runs good thats all it needs. Engine and everything looks clean just the plastics are a little faded but being a 95 I understand.

Also is it normal that it has a little bit of water mixed with oil under the engine at the bottom on the fiberglass of the ski? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
How is the ski otherwise? Does the starter turn with enthusiasm? Have you tried to test the compression? Has it been primarily fresh or salt water used? What is the overall corrosion look like? Hull in good shape, top and bottom? Any of the hoses look cooked off? Steering turns the jet without binding? Does the trim system work freely? How is the vinyl seat, hand-grips, etc? Garage stored or under the tree in the back yard? Does it have a cover?

How long has it been sitting? Is there old gas and oil in it? Does the owner have any sort of maintenance records indicating that it was taken care of? If it has sat for a long time, a carb rebuild is likley. I paid about $100 for two Mikuni rebuild kits. Fairly easy to rebuild carbs, so long as you have the manuals.

As to the oily water in the bilge, just make sure it isn't coming off of the block somehow or a leaky oil tank/line. It is likely that oil has slopped into the bilge during refills. And water can get into the bilge through leaky seals.

How mechanically able are you? You should be able to replace the coil. The electrical box comes out easily and can be worked on more easily when its on top of the engine rather than attached to the hull. To gauge your skill set, it takes about an hour to pull the motor with an engine lift, and about the same to reinstall.

If someone has to do the repairs for you, the costs and value of the 'deal' are inversly proportional.

As to the trailer, how are the hubs? Nice and tight? Dirty grease ozzing from every pore? Nice and clean? Look like it would take a saw to cut them off? Winch looks good, good strap, ratchet works? Bunks look good? If there is rust, how deep is it? How good are the tires? Hitch and chains solid? Lighting work or just knocked off?

Seems like a lot, but I bought a 95 that wouldn't start for $500 with half interest in a dual performance trailer, (there was a 95 Wave Runner III in the deal too - all for $1000). We didn't check any of the above because wave runner started and mine seemed to have compression (reads do as I say, not as I did....). A new starter, rebuilt carbs, and several 'clean-up' weekends, I'm about $950 total (ski and parts) into repairing my ski. And we'll be a couple of hundred into the trailer for repairs. I'm guessing the other ski has had about $400 in repairs for cables and hoses.

Only wild card after that is the jet pump - not sure how you would test that without it running.

These skis seem to run between $1200 and $1500 with a trailer on ebay, before shipping. Worth validating that just to be sure.

This board is GREAT for helping folks - lots of good folks willing to share. They sure have helped me. New parts are readily available still, and eBay is a good source for parts. I've had to buy several odd pieces like an oil tank, the starter, and a replacement trim piece for the back end. EBay had these items and I was able to get good prices. Obviously buy new for the carb kits.

I wouldn't pay more than $650 for sure.

I'll shut up now.

Good luck!

Greg
:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. Overall the ski looks real good for a 95. He had it stored in a barn. The trailer looks good I checked over everything on that.

He told me the oil in the bilge came out of the oil injector tank, he forgot to put the cap back on and it spilled before he realized it wasnt on.

He offered me to pay him half ($300, I got him down to $600) and for me to put in the coil and take it out for a run. If i wasnt happy he would give me the money back. I can just take out the coil and return it and I wouldnt be out any money. Once he told me that I felt more confindent to buy it. Im gonna go ahead and buy it sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like the Seller is straight up. $600 for a ski in good shape with a good trailer is a good deal for sure. The coil is in the electrical box fastened to the hull right in front of the baterry (3 bolts). My ski had been worked on before and the screws to open the electrical box were buggered. I bought new stainless screws to replace the old ones at the local Ace Hardware. Even though the wiring has very good color coding, I numbered my connections before I disconnected them. Made hooking them back up pretty quick. I would think that replacing the coil should take less than one hour tops.

One piece of advice regarding the service manuals. I bought the 'Service Manual' CD off of eBay. It was primarily the exploded parts views. I borrowed the official Yamaha Sevice Manual hard copy from a friend and it is much better, actually has instructions...... The Clymers is pretty good too but I'd get the Yamaha one first.

Good luck!!

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts