Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to owning jet ski's. I am an aircraft mechanic so I can do the work once given a direction. This jet ski has always run pretty good. Previous owner rebuilt the motor and I have been as fast as 52 mph with it. The other day we were out and the oil started flashing so I shut it down for the day. Tank was half full. Checked the strainer which had gunk on it. so I blew out the lines removed and cleaned the oil tank and put fresh yamalube in it. Put new spark plugs in and back to the water. Ran for like 4 minutes hitting 51mph and in the turn while I was adjusting the trim it just died. Like the key was removed. Hit the start and away I went for maybe 30 seconds and it dies again. This time it would not start for like 7 minutes. Starts again and I amost get it in and it dies again. One last time I got it started and drove it on the trailer. did not appear to be flooded. starts fine on the hose. checked compression and both were right at 115psi each. To me I feel something electrical shorted almost like the kill switch was activated. Maybe its carboration. Anyone have a clue and how I might test for it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
This sounds somewhat like an issue I was having with the charge coil wire grounding out once in a while. Found that it had rubbed up against the crankshaft and worn a hole in the insulation. Caused it to ground out whenever the wire was pulled back into the shaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hairplane I'm having the same trouble with mine. Did you figure out what the problem was with yours? If so, can you please help me out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts