Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this jet ski from a family member free of cost. He used to work on them and it ran great last year. Gas was low in the ski so I put 89 unleaded in the tank and that was when the problems seemed to arise. I was riding it one day, and every time I would pull the gas, it would just die immediately, like I hit the stop button. I changed the spark plugs, added sea foam in case it was bad gas, changed the fuel filter and I charged the battery. It started and it was end of season so I took it to the marina to winterize it.

I had the marina look at it, and they said it ran great etc. It was low on fuel so I went and bought marine gas this time and put it in. I filled it up all the way. I took it out, and it ran great for about 40 minutes. Then I started it again (after helping my buddy with his jetski) and I noticed white smoke coming out of the back and it didn't sound right when I hit the accelerator. I went full throttle and it worked. Then it die like it did last year. My buddy came to see what is wrong, I told him. I started it back up, and after approximately 5 secs on idle, it died again. I could start it and then it would die after 5 seconds again. Eventually it wouldn't start anymore, so my buddy started towing me across the lake. We get close to the channel and he has me give it a try. I started it, and it idle for longer than 5 secs so I started to go have fun with it again. We were going to the lake closest to my house in case I needed to be towed. While on a channel between the two lakes it died again and this time it was down for the count. This happened on Tuesday May 26th. I started the jets up out of water to have my brother look at it to see if he knew what was going on. One, we couldn't get the choke to come out to help start it. We opened up the compartment, and push the choke down (or up) manually inside the engine to get it to run. It didn't stall while we ran it. I did notice that every time before it stall on the 26th, that the gauge said the oil was low but when I checked it, the tank had more than half in it. I just think the gauge is full because after filling the tank with gas, the gas gauge said it was low to half full.

Can I just get some help as to what I should do next? I know next to nothing about jet skis and what makes them tick, so before I start changing parts and then sinking a bunch of money into it I would like to at least know what I should do next and if I need to take it to a mechanic or can I do this myself?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts