Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1996 seadoo bombardiar gtx problem

seadoo runs fine until it reaches 4000 rpms, if it goes any higher the engine will cut out. It drops back down to low rpms and stays running but it run wide open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently had a similar problem. My 96 GTX would run up to about 4000 then just shut off, If I let off on the gas right away it would run at idle. It quickly deteriorated to a point that it would hardly idel. I replaced all of my fuel lines, cleaned the fuel filter, checked the baffel filter. I removed the carbs to clean the internal screens. When I got the carbs off ( a real problem with one of the bolts frozen into one of the carbs) I found that the fuel inlet to the fuel pump was all but clogged solid with blue-green goop. The old Tempo lines had been breaking down and depositing goop. I was afraid of what I would find inside of the carburators. When I removed the screens they were dirty but not cloged. I cleaned and replaced them. I finally got everything back together this afternoon, The engine started right up, on the water I took It out for about a 45 min ride, It runs right up to about 50mph and seems to run like new.
In other words.............new gas lines, clean filters!!!
My wifes 96 GTX is running fine, but I will probably replace the fuel lines in that ski before the blue goo gets to it.
I did ask the local Seadoo dealer service dept about the problem. They estimated about $500 or so, for replacing the fuel lines and cleaning the carbs. I decided to do the work myself, not a bad job, with new carb gaskets and fuel line it cost about $50.00. Lots of satisfaction to do the work and have it fire up and run well, not to mention the saving of $500-$600.

good luck..........Wiz

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 96' Sea Doo Bombardier GTX. Last summer we started having problems with it bogging down and running horrible. It would only run at idle.

I have been on several forums and have found that the gray tubing used for the fuel lines breaks down and is filling the fuel system with blue-green goop.

Sure enough, we took the fuel lines off and found this goop.

Just today we replaced the fuel filters, all the fuel lines, and sprayed carb cleaner in the carbeurators as well as pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it out. It has a new battery and new spark plugs as well.

Our new problem is that it is not getting fuel to the fuel filter that sits above the tank,(the one that sits inside the cup that twists on) therefore causing it to not run.

I do not know if this type jetski has a fuel pump or anything to get the gas to the fuel filter so that it can get to the carbeurators.

It will turn over, but will not "bust off" and run. As long as I hold down the start button it will continue to try to turn over. I do not know what is causing it to "not get a seal" to pull the gas to the fuel filter. Does the fuel tank need to be completely full?
We tried to start it by switching between the reserve and the regular "on" for the selection valve. No difference.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts as to what I may need to do it would be greatly appreciated. Any additions to what I have already done would be great too. Just dont want to leave anything out.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The fuel pump is part of the first carb, the one nearest the front of the engine referred to as the mag carb. There is also a small filter in each of the carbs. Taking off the carbs and opening them up to get at the small filters is a delicate operation, but can be done. I found that the inlet elbow into the first carb was all but filled with the blue green gunk, the filters were dirty but not completely plugged.
I decided , since I was on a roll, to replace the fuel lines and clean the filters on my wifes 96 gtx. I knew I was breaking the rule, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I found that even though her ski ran very well, it had a lot more of the green gunk and dirt than I found in mine. After I got it back together and on the water, it wouldn't run well at all. As soon as I tried to open it up, it would die. My buddy suggested switching over to reserve, I thaught he was nuts but did so, it ran much better, wouldn't go over 35mph though. I bypassed the reserve valve, and the ski ran like new. I think the ski was sucking air at the reserve valve. I would suggest, removining the shortline from the fuel filter leading to the reserve valve. Remove the reserve line from the fuel baffel (pickup) and connect it directly to the fuel filter. Check the "O" ring on the fuel filter. Check all of your connections, there are a lot of places that air can be drawn into the system rather than gas. There are also two vent valves in the system, one goes up from the "t" that lets air in, the other goes out through the hull, just under the gunwale that lets excess gas pressure out of the tank these can get clogged.
If none of the above works you might need to rebuild the carbs, check out Complete Sea Doo Single & Dual Carb Rebuild Packages - OEM Mikuni Parts for info and supplies.

good luck......

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a 96' Sea Doo Bombardier GTX. Last summer we started having problems with it bogging down and running horrible. It would only run at idle.

I have been on several forums and have found that the gray tubing used for the fuel lines breaks down and is filling the fuel system with blue-green goop.

Sure enough, we took the fuel lines off and found this goop.

Just today we replaced the fuel filters, all the fuel lines, and sprayed carb cleaner in the carbeurators as well as pulled the fuel tank and cleaned it out. It has a new battery and new spark plugs as well.

Our new problem is that it is not getting fuel to the fuel filter that sits above the tank,(the one that sits inside the cup that twists on) therefore causing it to not run.

I do not know if this type jetski has a fuel pump or anything to get the gas to the fuel filter so that it can get to the carbeurators.

It will turn over, but will not "bust off" and run. As long as I hold down the start button it will continue to try to turn over. I do not know what is causing it to "not get a seal" to pull the gas to the fuel filter. Does the fuel tank need to be completely full?
We tried to start it by switching between the reserve and the regular "on" for the selection valve. No difference.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts as to what I may need to do it would be greatly appreciated. Any additions to what I have already done would be great too. Just dont want to leave anything out.
Thanks!
Just a helpful note...the filter you are talking about above the fuel tank is a water trap that should be located on the return side of the fuel system...trace your fuel lines and ensure that it is on the return line side. the cup normally does not fill full of fuel, since water is heavier than fuel, as fuel returns to the tank (the fuel system on a PWC is a closed, non-vented system, except for the fuel tank) if there is any water in the system, it will collect in the cup...hope that helps out!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts