Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 GSX that ran fine last season. I put new plugs and a new batttery in it. Started fine. Put it in the water and revs to about 4k rpm, then dies out. Rechecked the plug gap...was a little wide so readjusted. Seemed to run fine until I put it in the water again. Once in a while it takes off, but doesn't last long.

I have tried pulling the choke and this stalls it right out...seems like that would indicate it's getting gas and adding more stalls it out. It starts and idles fine...just cannot get it going over 4k rpm's.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not real experienced at working on these, so let me know if this is something complicated. I may have to bring it to the dealer, but everything there is time comsuming and expensive! Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you checked the intake grate and impeller for obstructions?
Have you inspected / cleaned / rebuilt the two RAVE valves?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had checked the intake grate, but have not cleaned the RAVE valves. Thanks for the info. I'll try this as soon as the weather cooperates and will let you know how I make out! How often do these valves need cleaning?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finished cleaning the RAVE valves and see a noticeable improvement. Now it takes off and will run up to 5K or 6K and occasionally 7k for very short period of time. I'm in the process of draining all the fuel and oil and putting in new. May have had some gas containing ethanol in it last year. I used stabilizer, but still think changing it up will eliminate this as a potential. I plan to change the plugs our again and maybe add some heet to the fuel to eliminate any potential moisture that may have collected. If it's still not right, I'll get a pressue gauge to check the cylinder pressures. I'm still open for any other suggestions! I appreciate the feedback thus far! Will update as (hopefully) progress is made.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For sure, if the rave valves were not lifting (broken cap, threaded portion of cap wallowed out, hole in bellows, excessive carbon build up on slides, etc) the engine won't run worth a damn.
After I rebuilt my two bellow assemblies and cleaned the slides my ski revved to 7K on the water, prior to that....5K.
I also installed an R&D intake grate and with those two changes it was like an entirely new ski. The thing was fun, fast, (indicated 51 mph) and had a much improved hook up out of the hole. Even my wife noticed how much better it ran...so that says something right there!
Since you had such an improvement with your rave valves, perhaps it's possible that you overlooked something on one of them....I can't stress enough to double check the top plastic cap piece that holds the top of the bellows (has upper spring clip around it) and also screws onto the shaft of the slide valve. The threads on the caps are notorious for falling apart and not lifting the valve.
I lock mine down with blue loctite. I also run with the red center caps on the raves flush with the black cap. (this preloads the spring) Some people run them all the way down, some up....flush seems to be good.
Definitely check, gap, & clean the spark plugs.
Gas----I wouldn't go crazy with that......put some fuel treatment in it, some octane boost if you want too.... and run it. I'd top it off with fresh fuel 40:1 mix as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1996 GSX that ran fine last season. I put new plugs and a new batttery in it. Started fine. Put it in the water and revs to about 4k rpm, then dies out. Rechecked the plug gap...was a little wide so readjusted. Seemed to run fine until I put it in the water again. Once in a while it takes off, but doesn't last long.

I have tried pulling the choke and this stalls it right out...seems like that would indicate it's getting gas and adding more stalls it out. It starts and idles fine...just cannot get it going over 4k rpm's.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm not real experienced at working on these, so let me know if this is something complicated. I may have to bring it to the dealer, but everything there is time comsuming and expensive! Any ideas would be appreciated!
I have exact same problem with my GSX it also dies over 4000 rpm. Have you fixed yours? What was the problem?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts